The Sunday Rocketeers

1. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Had an awesome day with my boy. We made some water rockets from pop bottles, something I last did about 30 years ago when I was a kid.
    I decided to go one better though and designed my own release mechanism so rather than waiting for the pressure to be enough to eject the bung I made a spring loaded trigger and firing pin.

Or i should say "we" made it. He was with me all day and enjoyed every minute. ..

20171008_111734.jpg 20171008_133918.jpg 20171008_115016.jpg 20171008_141523.jpg 20171008_141752.jpg IMG-20171008-WA0001.jpg

2. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Here is the release mechanism. ....

20171008_144916.jpg 20171008_163028.jpg 20171008_163022.jpg

slim_boy_fat, brewdexta, Parm and 4 others like this.
  3. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Launch pad....

20171008_142430.jpg 20171008_203214.jpg

4. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Firing pin

20171008_205016.jpg

brewdexta, Parm, penfold and 3 others like this.
  5. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Launch pad assembled. ..

20171008_205345.jpg 20171008_205403.jpg

brewdexta, Parm, eSCHEn and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Rockets. ...

20171008_200550.jpg

Iron man and hulk!

brewdexta, Parm, gavcarter and 2 others like this.
  7. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Test launch

20171008_174658.jpg

8. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
  9. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

That's a proper fun project

Now tell the truth. You were the one that really wanted the rockets. The little lad was your excuse to make it all happen

10. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Dam it, you got me! :whistle:

monky harris and Parm like this.
  11. I did this with my kids only I used the workshop compressor to charge the bottles.
    Fortunately both kids had ear defenders on and goggles as one rocket exploded on the launch pad (I'd foolishly upped the pressure to 150psi), unfortunately I didn't have ear defenders as the kids were wearing them and I seriously thought I'd permanently damaged by hearing, I had a ringing in my ears for hours afterwards as the sound had reflected back off the high corrugated walls of the workshop.
    Luckily my hearing returned to normal the next day.
    :ashamed:

Member 66062 likes this.
  12. Perhaps when your son is older you can build an air canon with him.
    The kids and me (mostly me) built one from an empty 47kg cylinder and a 3m length of 80mm CHS, the first meter or so of the CHS was inside the cylinder and I designed a full bore dump valve system.
    You placed your projectile in the tube, charged the cylinder to 150psi, took aim and opened a small valve, this released the pressure behind a big clack valve which had been sealing the end of the tube inside the cylinder allowing the entire contents of the cylinder to vent out of the tube.
    We could launch water filled plastic bottles about 300m horizontally in an arc, and with weighted aerodynamic projectiles (polystyrene cylinders with fold out fins) we were achieving distances of about 500m!!!
    We spent one summer precision bombing my mother in laws house (about 350m away) with projectiles, unfortunately the kids over ruled me when I devised a projectile with a noxious payload.:scared:

Just to add that we live in the sticks, mostly farmland with very few neighbours and I wouldn't recommend doing this in the suburbs!

13. This kind of thing but a bigger cylinder and tube.

14. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    I fancy a spud gun next but made if aluminium not plastic waste pipe so more propellant can be used.

MORE POWER :D:flame:

15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I used to help out at a lorry yard and the owner's lad used to fire bottles of water out of a compressor powered cannon made from stench pipe. They used to go a really long way.

16. julianf

julianf Member

I was asked to build a compressed air gun to shoot tennis balls.
    I couldnt find a decent bore for tennis balls, so i used a squash ball.

Receiver was charged from a bike pump.

The squash ball muzzle velocity was clocked at 156mph. I weighed the squash ball, did the sums, and worked out that was similar power to a small browing pistol, and, because of that, would require a licence and proper storage.

I was going to add a pressure valve so as it could not be charged over a certain pressure, but, in the end, it was just decommissioned.

If my experience is anything to go by, its fairly easy to make an air cannon that is, umm, excessive....

Wendelspanswick and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Fantastic work...kids really love building real things using real tools and equipment (with supervision of course).

18. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

68mm drain pipe is a perfect fit for a tennis ball.;)

Wendelspanswick and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. I had planned to mount the air cannon on a trailer with an ack ack gun style rotating turret to take to the tractor events we used to go to but I was concerned that plod might take an interest so it was scrapped in the end.

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Water canon is the way to go I think...nice and safe if the pressure is kept reasonable. Anything with flying objects is asking for trouble from the health and safety brigade!

Advertisements