Tailgate hinge pins.

1. Gwil Member

the hinges on my Opel Camp (Vauxhall Brava/Isuzu TFS) pickup's tailgate are so loose the banging from the back is even driving this deaf old **Language** crazy.

Anybody replaced pins like this? I can't find new hinges anywhere. I'd imagine boring them out and an oversize pin, plus grease nipple, would be favourite.

I think the pin would need to be hardened?

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Would the old ones not just drift out with a BFH and a suitably sized drift? :dontknow:

3. Gwil Member

Yes, the pins are just locked in place crudely with a blob of weld. I was just wondering before I render the truck unusable if anyone knew if the pins were hardened- I can't tell (it's always the way!) if the pins or the hinge body is most worn?

4. Bsmith Member

I would make new pins from stainless steel, should be tough enough for any hinges.

5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

6. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

If you make new pins from tough material the hinges will wear out first. It might be better to stick with MS for the pins so they can be replaced easier.

Gwil and zx9 like this.
  7. CompoSimmonite Member

The "lift off" door hinges on my UMM Transcat are worn (and not available new) so I've considered drilling the pin out, tapping body and replacing with Allen bolt then cutting head off. The hole in the other part of the hinge would then be bored out so a flanged type plain bush could be fitted. The idea is the softer bush will suffer future wear.
    [​IMG]

Advertisements