2. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I wouldn’t say cheap, just realistic.
    Buy the biggest you can to give working room

RobCox and daedalusminos like this.
  3. Pete.

Pete. Member

I think that Tiggy_Dorset bought a new one of those. Pretty sure we put a repeat-o-meter and an autocollimator on it and couldn't get any variation of reading, in other words it was flatter than our ability to measure. I expect that a professional could map it out but it was the only plate we couldn't see any variance in.

4. daedalusminos Member

Ok, surface plate on the way, could do with some 'UK' advice on hand scrapers - most of what I've read so far is from Practical Machinist and many of the items aren't readily available over here. I know @spencer 427 does a fair bit of hand scraping but any advice welcome, I could make my own but looks like the inserts (Sandvik) are still about £35 ea, Sandvik produce a hand scraper though reports from across the pond are that it's too stiff, likewise with the Rennsteig. I've heard great things about the Biax hand scraper but have not seen it for sale.

5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

If you really want a challenge I could flame cut you a square of 1" thick road plate.:scared:

Start the car.

Bob

6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Old eclipse scraper may be better

spencer 427 likes this.
  7. spencer 427 Member

I have a few scrapers. The sandvik one I have and it is a little on the stiff side. The other scrapers I have a forum member kindly made them for me and they are nice.

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Did anyone end up getting that surface plate the other week, the big granite one for £200 or whatever it was

9. pressbrake1

essex england
    Depends if you’re trying to replicate the yank style scraping, digging in and flexing out. We would have got a stick across the knuckles for that
    I’ve been doing it thirty years and have no preference. Where it’s become a hobby there are more products, we just used what we were given I’ve got a sandvick scraper I’ve had since I was 17 and carbon steel scrapers I’ve made for tickling tight spots
    Some like 5°neg rake I use 4°
    My pal lurk on here makes scrapers with nice wooden handles

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. pressbrake1

essex england
    Possibly Scam as number given had funny ring tone and person who answered had poor English and all the background voices were non English

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Oh

12. spencer 427 Member

Also everyone kind of develops their own style given how they hold the scraper. I also been teaching myself to scrape with both my left and right hands/arms.

13. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Stefan Gotteswinter on youtube has a couple of very good videos on scraping. He makes up a little straight edge for a friend and scrapes it. He has the biax though, at £1,500 +, its a bit much for hobby use.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  14. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I have a granite surface plate, 14"? square 4" thick from memory, very heavy! will never use it.....

15. daedalusminos Member

Thanks all for the info. will probably go Rennsteig initially for the hand scraper with a view to making my own when I get the hang of it - will need something custom for the dovetails anyway. Is this the type of disc needed to re-grind the edge on the tungsten...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-6-Coat...382736?hash=item263a91acd0:g:j2gAAOSwMiFetk2D

Assuming I can just make a backing disc and mount on my regular bench grinder with a custom 'end-face' fixture?

16. Pete.

Pete. Member

Your bench grinder will turn it far too fast. You want a 1500 grit disc turning at about about 400rpm for lapping an already-made edge. For profiling your radius you want about 320 grit.

Brad93 likes this.
Advertisements