Suggestions on a mig

1. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    Hi all, im after another mig asap as im restoring two cars at current. Got a price for a 200amp single phase oerlikon through work last week and it came out at £550 +vat...long term ill probably wish id bought it, but since 95% of home work is bodywork, i dont see the point in paying that much when i can just use the mig in work for larger stuff. Im looking at spending £300 and having a machine by the end of this week! (Fast approaching deadline for the car to be done)!! Ive had my eyes on this machine for a while http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-SU...513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ba0fd169 but i dont want to buy it and a few months down the line regret it! As said, i dont want to pay over £300 and im after a machine by this weekend at the latest! What would people suggest?
    Thanks for reading!
    Brad.

2. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    Ohh and one more thing being im not after a small sized machine, ie. a hobby clarke mig as in my personal experience these machines dont have great wire feeds! which isnt all that usefull when it comes to welding bodywork to a decent standard. Im more after a medium sized (ish) machine as i use large or medium sized gas bottles too, duty cycle isnt a big point as nearly all of my stuff is bodywork and not heavy amperage, cheers again.

3. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    That is a small machine. ;)
    The equivalent Clarke to that would be the 160TM which has 6 power settings instead of the 4 on that sealey.
    The wire feed unit will be the standard 'hobby' type. Plastic, tiny motor etc. no better than the ones on any of the Clarke units in a similar price range.
    If you want a 'good' wire feed unit on a new machine then you'll have to spend an awful lot more than £300. ;)

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Although I have owned neither, after many hours reading on here I think I would go for a Clarke before the one you suggest, in fact I can't really remember any complaints about the Clarke wire feed except from owners of well used machines which are overdue a service.

5. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Banned

Cork
    im only still learning the very basics of mig welding,so i have hardly any experience,
    but i bought that welder new,and sold it after about 3 hours of use.wire feed was all over the place with very little accuracy/fine adjustment.
    bought a second hand better unit for not much more and improved my welds instantly.

6. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Clarke does sell some Chinese built models. maybe that is what you had.

I had a 130EN and has no problems. The wire feed had no problems with the 12-foot torch I put on it.

7. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Banned

Cork
    i had the Sealey in the link the op posted

8. BRODTuning Member

south wales
  9. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

The 160TM is gas only, the 160EN is gas/gasless.

The 180 has a higher minimum current and only has 4 power settings. Looks like one of the Chinese models.

I'd go for either of the 160's.

10. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    I think ill go for the 160TM ill only ever use gas and it looks a better peice of kit to my eye hahaa, cheers for the reply fella! going to order one now :)

11. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    One more question before i click the buy it now? best place to order?

12. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Weldequip at top of page?

13. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    He seems to be sold out of this machine mate!:( Ill try dropping him a pm

14. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Agree with robotstar5... they may be a little cheaper on fleabay but the back up would worry me in case of a problem in the guarantee period.

15. stuvy

stuvy Member

i would buy that portamig in the forsale section on this site if i was you mate

16. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Agree 100%... Very rare for those to come up for sale and the price is a give away

Advertisements