Brother wanted a shelf with a hook bar for his kitchen, got me to roll some stainless rod and weld it up.
Not sure on the wood but it's lovely, we gave it a wipe over with linseed oil and it's a quality finish
Thats the nicest table Ive seen in a long time , looks like it was a surface plate .
The ongoing saga of the SU carb. Regular readers will know I've been running one for decades, but it's always been not-quite-right.
A couple of years ago I fitted an HIF 38 (equivalent to 1.5"), but have been plagued with it running out of steam at 90mph; this wasn't really much of a problem, as more than 80 around here doesn't go on for long, and I don't do motorway journeys much, if at all.
Finally, the penny dropped - the needle jet on the HIF38 is (old school measurement) 0.075" orifice and the head of fuel from the tank is barely 6" above that, more when the tank is full.
A replacement needle jet of 0.097" has been obtained, and is going into the spare carb I will be gas-flowing for later fitment. This bigger jet will enable the 90mph barrier to be breached, but I don't think it will go a lot higher - the previous carb I had was larger, and likely had the larger needle jet too, but it topped out at 115mph. That was to be expected; after all, it's a single carb and there's a limit to how well it can supply four pots.
However, my goal here is to get the 38mm carb flowing and breathing the best it can in this application. So, just as a temporary measure, to rule out fuel supply issues, I fitted a cheap-ass electric pump and a couple of filters, along with a new manual petcock, as the old vacuum tap was guilty of also not flowing as much as it should.
To feed the 80 paper horses of this engine, there needs to be a fuel flow rate of ~66ml per ten seconds. A simple measurement maxed out at 44ml per ten seconds, so quite a shortfall.
Some afternoon work. Painted the wall after lunch but it's so boring watching paint dry so I started to put up some joists that won't mind if they get some paint. Trip to the timber yard and dug down the final concrete pillar first though to give it some time to dry.
There's 12 h drying time so next coat tomorrow.
How the mighty have fallen, there was a time I’d simply order a sheet of 3/4 plywood and chop it to shape, but retirement and divorce has changed the status quo, so I sawed up a scruffy old chest of drawers to get wood for a tool board. First coat of paint on, filled an afternoon.
The wood for the slab for my workshop also turned up, so I may order a skip and start removing a layer of garden soon. it will be re-reconstituted into parts for the shed, or a big workbench once its use for the base.
Those steel racks will probably be stripped and scrapped, too bulky for the storage they provide.