Stud welding / dent pulling with a MIG welder

1. Mike_H Member

I've got a portamig with a Euro Torch

Has anyone found a kit to use it as a stud welder for dent pulling. I could buy a cheap stud welder but I don't think it'll last very long, and don't do enough of it (hobby) to buy a new one.

My current workaround method is to tack weld nails to the dented area, and pull them using a split end on the slide hammer, or clamp with big mole grips and pull the mole grips with a hook.

It's slow and laborious, but it sort of works. I'd like to find a quicker method.

I've seen the Eastwood and Sealey parts, but don't think they'll fit a Euro Torch. Does anyone know different?

2. Ruffian Member

Speak to your local body work supplier.
    A local one to me does a kit for circa £200 with welder, pins, and slide hammer.

3. Mike_H Member

Thanks for the quick reply

I asked my local one but they didn't seem to know what I was on about. Any idea on the brand that your local man stocks? I expect I could find something online.

Also £200 could pick up a used stud welder and slide hammer, so it's marginal if it's worth it.

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

@Mike_H you must be doing enough of it to need a dedicated machine

I went to the paint shop earlier and he has a magic dent puller. Basically it spot welds keys then stick a bar through and pull it out for £4500 for the machine

The old way was a home made slide hammer and drill holes insert a screw and pull it out

I still see cars like this from time to time

Shedendman likes this.
  5. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    ^^^^^^^^
    Thats how i've done it,tbh though,if poss i just get a replacement panel

stuvy likes this.
  6. daedalusminos Member

Check out Trev's blog...

7. optima21 Forum Supporter

or tack the edge of washers onto the panel and use a slide hammer through the hole of the washer.

Shedendman, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  8. gaz_moose Member

I used to just weld washers on and use the hook attachment on my slide hammer. twist them off when I was done.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

We did this but tacked M6 nuts to the panel and cut the tack off with a grinder.

10. eddie49 Member

The Eastwood kit is just a cut-down MIG shroud with a tube to hold the stud/pin whilst you weld it to the panel:

https://www.frost.co.uk/mig-stud-welding-kit/

Apparently their tool only fits Tweco torches. It wouldn't be too hard to adapt a spare Eurotorch shroud to hold the pin in the same way.

11. gaz_moose Member

what would happen if you put a bolt in the electrode holder of a stick welder and held it against a panel? would it weld it to the panel?

12. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

What about losing the welder and trying cold glue

13. Mike_H Member

Anything is better than drilling a load of holes in a panel. That’s why I use the washer/nails method now. It’s very slow though.

14. Mike_H Member

From what I've read, the glue method is good for biggish, shallowish dents, where you have a good surface to attach to. Stud welding (or DIY workaround equivalent) is better where you have an irregular surface or smaller / deeper dents without a flat area to grip on. The second part is based on experience, whereas I haven't used the glue methods personally.

15. Mike_H Member

If I was to buy a purpose built stud welder puller, any recommendations as to brands? Probably looking for something used and half decent, rather than brand new made from the finest Chinesium.

I’ve seen Tecna and Rothenberger ones advertised. Rothenberger have a good rep in blowtorches, but no idea on stud welder brands.

16. Mike_H Member

Update: Found a Rothenberger stud welder / puller for £75 on gumtree, with a load of rivets and a few different collets on it. Tested and working. Bargainous.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Did it come with an operator? :scared: :D

18. Mike_H Member

Nope, for a quick lesson from the old boy who was selling it (retired from being a body man) and have a scrap door to play with, to get the hang of how long to weld the stud on for, and try the shrinking head.

Advertisements