Steel scroll gate paint

1. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Now that hammerite is rubbish what are people using for exposed steel gates? I have a second hand 6' high doorway gate to fit, it's going to be a horrible job to sand down so I'm hoping not to have to repeat the exercise too soon!
    It's currently painted a horrible shade of purple complete with rusty bits.

2. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Batter it with a knotted wire wheel on a grinder get all the loose stuff off then a good coat of epoxy primer (I recommend Jotun).

Then finish with topcoat of your choice, I've been very impressed with zinnser allcoat but there's not much in the way of colours.

I certainly be wouldn't use Armstead, horrible to use and never really hardens.

Dcal and Rig Pig like this.
  3. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Take it to a proper man, have it blasted, galvanized, then poweder coated!

Rig Pig and grim_d like this.
  4. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Bit tricky at the moment and would probably cost more than the gate is worth!
    I'm hoping to clear the building materials and temporary scaffold dog gate out and hang it in the next few days.

5. wyn

wyn Member

I always use Rustoleum nowadays.

Rig Pig likes this.
  6. dan.taylor.1

dan.taylor.1 General Tinkererer

Second vote for rustoleum, though anything I make for customers generally gets galved first

Rig Pig likes this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I’ve just done our scrolled gates using Aldi metal paint, I just hope it lasts as it was a sod of a job. We will see!

marlinspike and Rig Pig like this.
  8. piman Member

Hello Addjunkie,

I've never seen the logic of both galavanising and plastic coating? Galvanising, fine to rust proof, but if a colour is required just paint it after with suitable paints, surely cheaper than plastic coating. Or just plastic coat for something that gets little mecchanical damge. Both together is over the top in my view.

Alec

Dcal likes this.
  9. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I'd do what @grim_d says.

If you have a needle gun, even better but the wire brush would certainly get the worst off.
    A flat with a sander after wire brushing will also help the epoxy stick to the steel and any remaining paint.

Rig Pig likes this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

galvanising and coated with manor high build vinyl is the business that's what all the top railing and gate manafacturers use no need for mordant wash and can be coated instantly even without galv its the best coating and long lasting

Rig Pig likes this.
  11. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I used Aldi straight to metal paint on our gates. Used the tinned version first but it was taking ages and didn't seem to stick - seemed to be needing a few coats. Then tried the aerosol version and that worked really well and was very quick to use. I have used the aerosol version on my car restoration in places like the boot (car colour is black anyway) and it has been really hard wearing. Downside is that Aldi don't stock it all year round, but at around £3/4 a can it is a bargain. It's a couple of years since I did the gates but they are holding up well too - no flaking. Good preparation helps too though.

Rig Pig likes this.
  12. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Because galv on it's own looks awful and life's too short to paint gates

addjunkie and Dcal like this.
Advertisements