Steel racks

1. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Satisfying little project using up some oddball steel we picked up - including some 160 x 80, and some 50 x 90 (!). Bit of TIG and a bit of MIG...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awaiting a few coats of paint now. Probably gloss yellow, since a) i have loads of it, and b) I also need to paint our spreader bar yellow :ashamed:

cianh91, slim_boy_fat, Dcal and 5 others like this.
  2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

your base plate is too short needs to be about another 6" forward

also needs some wall fixers as well

i see them all the time in building merchants and also steel stockists also go online and have a good look at some

nice builds there though

Munkul likes this.
  3. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    The bases are just fine. I've seen plenty steel racks before. They MIGHT get some wall fixings though.

They're to hold small to medium sections and flats, all of it handballed without machines, so I'm not stressing too much about stability. Once the bottom racks are loaded with the heaviest stuff, it'll be pretty rigid.

MCKDAVID and steve t like this.
  4. dan.taylor.1

dan.taylor.1 General Tinkererer

Only thing I'd say is I've been told welding the horizontal pieces on the side of the vertical gives a stronger joint, but if it's not having heavy stuff piled on it I've seen plenty the same so I'm sure it'll be grand. Been meaning to get mine done as having it on the floor down one side of the shop is a real pita!

Munkul likes this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@Munkul That's an incredibly clear work space :thumbup:, you should be ashamed of yourself....:scared: :D

Munkul and Chillitt like this.
  6. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Making some myself, slowly...

6 of to be exact, when I get around to cutting the steel bars. I’ve got the main upright and base welded together, I need to put a couple of tabs on for some cross racing and bolting down too.

Munkul likes this.
  7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    There's three workshops' worth of gear and equipment to all move into the big shed when we finally get around to it...! We're putting a mezzanine floor above one bay before that, though. And loads of farm work to do before we get around to that...

Maker and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements