Stainless welding

1. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

Gonna buy a proper Mig welder, seen loadsa conflicting info about gas mixes, so which is the standard, mild steel mainly with stainless occasionally, also why doesn't everyone buy tig only if it's better weld wise, I know it's slower and harder to learn but I'm very new to this welding lark! Also, do you have to gas purge all the time if welding stainless tube? I'd seen a YouTube vid and it was treated as a given in the vid? Only been a month welding and been on forum 2 days, am a very quick learner mind you so ally tig coming soon! Not!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2018
  2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forum :waving:

I guess there's a bunch of reasons and it depends what you're going to be welding. TIG can be more expensive to get into, especially for a newbie - there are loads of £40 arc/stick welders and £100 mig welders on gumtree, but far fewer tig welders come up.
    If you're going to be welding outside then stick welding is the best option.

If you're going to be mixing between mild and stainless steel (or aluminium), then changing wire and lining (or the entire torch) on mig can be a pain, where as using arc or tig is easier to switch between the two.

Finally, as you say, tig is harder to learn and slower to lay down welds.

All in all, it's horse for courses. I've a little arc welder and a bigger multiprocess machine, but I've never used the latter for tig yet.

If you're going to do a lot of stainless / alu, and it's all indoors, then going straight to tig seems a reasonable plan.

Bigmac likes this.
  3. As far as gas goes unfortuately there is no such thing as standard if you're MIG welding depends on material type and thickness. With TIG it's a bit more straightforward as you'll get a decent weld on all materials with pure argon

4. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

I've already got a gys 80a invertor mma, which burns 2.5mm rods like there chocolate compared to the 140a £20 ebay buzz box I had, it all started about 2 months ago when I got a gasless draper mig welder, I'm well hooked on welding now ! Can't seem to find many books/dvds on welding so I've been watching youtubes bob moffat of weld.com and learnt a bit, reckon am gonna do c&g levels 1&2 and maybe get coded on mma & mig or tig, courses at welding academy in Chester, anybody learnt there? I don't mess around when I'm into something, go hard or go home. Hence why I'll be buying another gas shrouded proper weld set, I'm leaning towards tig though? 100% argon and the nicest welds! Age 46 now so got the coin to do these things, my mates a pipe fitter and says every welder he knows is earning uber money, to be honest that's not the main attraction for me, only time will tell.....

5. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

With your forum member name I thought you'd be the guy to answer my original question? Welding stainless tube is it always necessary to backpurge the tube I assume to prevent sugar ?

6. If you want complete root fusion with anti corrosion properties (which is why you've made it out of stainless in the first place) you need to purge it correctly

Bigmac likes this.
  7. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

People think welding is soooo easy! I was blown away with all the 4g 5g etc etc positions and stuff, nevermind metallurgical oddities.

Advertisements