Stainless newbe

1. paulmitchell1984 Member

Hi guys
    Been tinkering lately with tig (only got it last week)
    Got board of doing flat plate straight runs so I made a box...
    It's nothing compared to the masterpieces on here but I'm pretty chuffed with it.
    Still need to massively improve on tacking up iv been trying to get the 2 pieces to just blend with no filler bit not proving successful at minute.

• 20190213_203706.jpg
    • IMG-20190213-WA0012.jpeg
    dai, Parm, slim_boy_fat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Looks pretty good....what thickness is it?
    Did you have trouble with the last edge you welded? Expanding air in things like that can cause blow out as your get to the end of the sealing run. If you did have issues with that, leave it to cool, then finish off the last run.

Get yourself comfortable, try and rest your hand/arm and move the torch along the joint a few times to make sure its a good position. Looks like you are almost sorted with that.

Having the edges deburred nicely makes quite a difference to the final runs too, as does fit-up. Try and get it as close as possible, with no gap. Tack it up, and a gentle tap to close the joints up works well.

Having a nice sharp tungsten really helps with tacking up. If the bits are cut accurately, you should easily be able to tack that up just by fusing the edges together slightly.

paulmitchell1984 likes this.
  3. paulmitchell1984 Member

I did have a few issues with the last part cheers for the tip il give that a whirl.
    Stainless was 1.5mm tungsten 1.6 red with needle tip if I dipped I ground thing I touched down about 3 times in total, stainless rod 1mm ish not measured I acquired them from a company that does some tig work for us but the tube was for mild steel he just have me a selection.

I took time with the cuts to get them as accurate as I could, i managed to get it so that each edge touched leaving me the v to fill in (if that makes sence)

I'm getting better at keeping steady but really need to get an adjustable seat to make life easier.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Did you put a couple of nuts in so it will rattle ? Put some spots on it and make it into a dice, fun little practice project.

paulmitchell1984 likes this.
  5. paulmitchell1984 Member

I didnt but good idea..might have another go tonight and do that

6. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Outside corners are great for zipping across on stainless and just letting the arc fuse the corner together but there are some real fundamentals to get right before it will work.
    Fit up needs to be absolutely bang on the money. Even a gap the thickness of a fag paper is enough to send things pair shaped.
    Travel speed needs to be quick. So your current needs to be high enough to obtain joint fusion immediately on strike up.
    Your tungsten needs to be ground up needle sharp and that arc wants to be so tight.

Tom_ERST_S2 and paulmitchell1984 like this.
  7. paulmitchell1984 Member

Not getting to play out tonight some special day apparently so will be weekend when I get chance

Anguz and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements