Stainless blast media - where?

1. julianf

julianf Member

I keep seeing recommendations for stainless blast media, but all I can find, by way of actual retailers, are a couple of those "ring us for a price" type websites.

I can't find any hint of an actual price anywhere.

Does anyone know of an online retailer who publishes pricing for this stuff?

Thank you.

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

guyson turbonox but wont be cheap why do you need stainless??

3. julianf

julianf Member

I'm not sure as I do. The first thing I'm wanting to do is some alloys and I've seen it recommended more than once for them.

It also seems that, providing you're able to recover it, that it's a one time purchase. I mean there will surely be losses, but my understanding is that it does not actually degrade.

So, depending on how many multiples of the price of expendable media it is, it may be better value. But I don't know as I can't actually find any pricing!

4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I bought some filters for my Vixen cabinet from a chap and he had a production run where they had a couple of blast cabinets. They used stainless media and he said it was amazing, very little wear and it was so heavy none was lost in the extractor. He said he bought one bag and had never used it all and that was running machines all day.

He used a product called Grittal

6. 500e

Grittal is a very aggressive media, with a hardness of 62HRC (750 HV)
    .Possibly not what you want

7. julianf

julianf Member

None of the suggestions so far have any mention of pricing.

8. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Can you not just ring and ask? The problem with stuff is often the shipping.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. julianf

julianf Member

Yeah, I can call. But it's tedious and expensive in time. "Do you have an account with us" etc.etc.

I always wonder at companies who bother to create a website (to sell stuff) but then can't be bothered to put up any pricing. I mean what's that all about?

I hate talking to people on the phone at best of times.

10. maz0

maz0 Member

Have to agree there. Big list of products and just the one your looking for then you see ‘call for price or POA” - gets a big fat close tab click. 2019 man, not got time for that malarky. It’s usually because the company are an engineering firm and have out-sourced their web page building as they need to have an online presence. Chances are they aren’t interested in our custom anyway and prefer the big contracts.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I do know what you mean and my instinct is normally that it will be too expensive but I have also phoned places where they didn't want to do e-commerce but stocked huge amounts of kit and were competitve price wise.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Or the ones that give an email address, that is never, ever, ever, ever answered...... :mad:

13. 500e

Problem with pricing = price changes so site up dating for stock items, bulk pricing, price breaks etc then your competitors know as well.
    I dislike no pricing but I can understand to a certain extent, it would be handy if they said min order of x.or this is a base price on minimum order

Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. brightspark

brightspark Member

I did once buy a bag of beads from guyson I went down to there showroom and works to have a nosey at the set ups what a palaver to buy a bag :vsad:and it was bloody expensive :oit was quite obvious they only want to deal with companys who have accounts with them

15. julianf

julianf Member

Ok so here are the numbers on turbonox -

Minimum order spend £25

...but that's kind of irrelevant, as the media price -

1x25kg bag - £279.52 ex

Carridge £8.95

6 X 25kg bag price break - £223.62 per bag

At £340 delivered for a sack, you really wouldnt want to be spilling it on the floor.

I'm now eyeing up all my 5005 swarf and wondering if that would work for blasting!

(5005 alluminium, and it's splinters from CNC milling, rather than curlings)

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

best using ally oxide if you can recover it. I use kiln dried sand on ally and steel parts also use copper slag on larger stuff on the bigger pot . crushed glass is cheap enough to use as well

Advertisements