Stahlwerk cut-50st

1. anto44

anto44 Member

Just got this during the week to replace my previous plasma that kicked the bucket. I ordered it directly from stahlwerks ebay shop, I ordered it on a Thursday and had it the following Thursday, it was shipped from their depot in London.
    15279312905131606135739.jpg
    The torch is really nice, its a 5mtr long SG55 (AG60) that comes with its own little carrier bag that I'll never use.
    15279314923821051402840.jpg
    Earth lead is 10' long with a small dinse fitting and a generic stamped steel earth clamp.
    1527931747485725215867.jpg
    It comes with a water trap/regulator which fits on the back of the machine, this is where the pressure gauge is fitted so to set your pressure you have to be at the back of the machine. The on off switch is also on the back of the machine at the very bottom.
    15279320945381357099014.jpg
    The pwer lead is on the short side at 1m. It came with a European style plug with an adaptor to plug it into a uk 13amp plug. It cut at 40amps no problem on a 13amp fuse but popped thr fuse after a few seconds at full power. I chopped the plug off straight away and fitted a 16amp plug.
    15279323965292020726913.jpg
    I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet but it cut 10mm 316 no problem, nice clean cut with minimal clean up required. I'll update this when I get a bit more torch time on it.

Memmeddu, skotl, R-D-R and 1 other person like this.
  2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

It looks very nice and updating the review over the coming months will be valuable to the forum and any members consdering the same product.

It has the thing that seems to be getting common on a lot of machines today, the on/off switch on the back, my R-Tech inverter has that, I know it's only a small issue but it annoys me to hell.

Memmeddu, skotl, anto44 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

How easy is it to see the plasma when free hand cutting? My LT-40 torch has square ended tips which make visibility a bit difficult. I am about to try some extended tips but an option is to get a torch similar to yours. Thanks.

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. anto44

anto44 Member

I'll update this when I get more time on it and see what it's like to use.
    Visibility when cutting free hand is ok. I had a rtech with a pt31 torch before I got this one and that torch was probably a bit better for freehand cutting as the tips are longer and thinner than this but they're a lighter duty torch.
    1527939725991903190092.jpg

Memmeddu and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I see they do a 40 for £199, I could be tempted because the thickest I use is 5mm, just need to be sure my Aldi comp would run it ok.

The 5 year warranty is good if it's a UK location return.

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. anto44

anto44 Member

I went with this one because of the 5 year warranty and after doing some research I've found that they seem to be good at standing over their warranty. Hopefully I won't get to review their warranty service but if I do I'll update this thread with my experience.
    I don't know what the air consumption is for this but I think you should be ok with the aldi comp unless you're going to be doing long runs back to back. What size compressor is it? I have a 25 litre compressor I bought in lidl a few years ago, I could hook it up to that over the weekend and see how it keeps up for you, I normally run it off my 3hp 200l compressor .

Memmeddu likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Does it have pilot arc?

Memmeddu likes this.
  8. anto44

anto44 Member

The ebay add says it has pilot arc, not sure how to check

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I think other members as well as myself would find that a handy test to know :thumbup:

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Afaik, if you connect it all up and press the trigger away from the work-piece a flame should light. Mine doesn't have pilot arc so I'm only repeating what I've read on here.

Sure someone else will be along to confirm or otherwise.

eltis likes this.
  11. daedalusminos Member

That's correct!

Memmeddu and eltis like this.
  12. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I quite like the look of this, look forward to seeing how you get on with it. Been looking for a plasma for a while but put off with the usual ebay offerings.

13. anto44

anto44 Member

Got to put it in a but of torch time with this today. I can confirm it doesn't have pilot arc.
    I was using it to cut up some old rusty frames that I had knocking around. Nothing bad to report, works just perfectly.
    I did get to try it using my 25l direct drive lidl compressor. Unless you're going to be doing long runs back to back it's more than up to the job. I think anyone using it in a diy setting will have no problem.

14. gt6s Member

I have the Stahlwerk 55S plasma cutter, which they no longer sell. Same AG60 torch and non pilot arc. Small compressors should run it but be prepared for almost continuous running.

Laurence

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. zx9

zx9 Member

^^^ I think I would be taking that up with them, how can they advertise a machine with pilot arc and supply a machine with out it?

16. TwoThumbs

TwoThumbs Member

I also got one 50ST from their site. Machine seems nice, work leads were long enough and it came with AG60 torch. Made some test cuts to rusty 10 mm steel and it went pretty easily. Some hose clamps had to be replaced with high quality Swedish made clamps nothing new there.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. ajmoore1 Member

uk
    Any update on how the plasma is performing as I am thinking of getting one.

18. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Hi, Nice looking machine, Did you query the pilot arc in the advert, Nice heavy cable for the earth/return, But it only has to carry a small amperage, Over kill but good.

Memmeddu likes this.
  19. TwoThumbs

TwoThumbs Member

Have used mine on few projects for thinner 2-3 mm steel, machine has performed well. No regrets.

Memmeddu, anto44 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. anto44

anto44 Member

I've put a lot of hours on this now and so far it's been brilliant. Cuts really nice and cleanly. I've cut 14 or 16mm steel with it, it was slow and was definitely what I'd class a severance cut but it handled it no problem.

Tbh I never bothered. I reread the advert and it's not very clear as the description is one of the range of plasmas not the individual model. When I got the plasma I had a job lined up for that weekend and I just used it.

I'm actually not sure what the setup is. If you hold the tip 1mm away from a piece of metal and pull the trigger it will instantly fire straight through the metal, no tip contact is needed.
    If you hold the tip 1mm away from a piece of painted steel and pull the trigger it fires straight through.
    If you hold the torch away from the work piece and pull the trigger it makes a little zap from the torch and the air flows.
    The earth cable is nice and chunky seems good quality cable for 50amps but the clamp is a bit *NO SWEARING ON THIS FORUM*.

Memmeddu and skotl like this.
Advertisements