spacers for an angle grinder

1. jimmy shoes Member

south wales
    hi,

i bought a few 1mm thick cutting discs for my angle grinder awhile back, i tried fitting one and there's quite a bit of play in the disc even when the securing nut is done up tight, do i need specific spacers to take up the play, if so where can i buy them?

cheers,

james

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Turn the nut over ;)

3. wyn

wyn Member

As pedrobedro says..... one side of the nut has a step for grinding discs (6mm'ish) the other side is flati'sh for thinner stuff.

4. Pete.

Pete. Member

That works but the Hilti quick-release nuts can't be turned over. I have one of these on my 4.5" grinder. To use the 1mm discs I took off the backing nut and ground the step down to just below 1mm so the clamping nut doesn't stop against it.

5. jimmy shoes Member

south wales
    :ashamed:oh umm sorry

6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

We are all here to learn, no need for apologies. On some grinders you can turn the disk backing support (with flats to hold it in place) over as well if it has a lip for thicker blades.

7. jimmy shoes Member

south wales
    im cutting some metal strips of 1.2mm mild steel to practice welding on

8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Some cutting disks come with a sheet of thin cardboard washers to overcome this problem.

9. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Most of the places that sell them will have a sheet of the washers with a box. No more than a bit of cornflake box.

10. oilcooled :)

oilcooled :) Pipe Welder, Mechanical engineer

wen using them real thin diiscs on my 9" makita i put the thin disc on, then a real wore disc on top of it, then then the nut.:) ... great job

Advertisements