Southwest Gas Supplies

1. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    Our 5%CO2/Argon mix has a trace of Oxygen , not the 2% that BOC specify . You may notice a slight difference but most users do not notice .

Alan
    Southwest Gas Supplies Ltd

2. EddyP

EddyP Member

Alan - Can you tell me what size your bottles are equivalent to in the BOC bottle terms please?

Thanks

3. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    our 10 litre is about a BOC X size and our 20 litre is about a BOC y size

4. joe90

joe90 Member

north devon
    what are the prices on these 10/20 litre bottles argon/co2 mix bud and looking to get one from pat williams in barnstaple.

5. marc.w Member

Gloucester UK
    Well I got a 10l Argon mix from APD a couple of weeks ago and it was £109.20 inc £55 +VAT deposit. Today I got a 10l Pure Argon and it was £124.80 inc £55 + VAT deposit. Quite shocked that the pure argon was so much more expensive :-(

6. Sir Crashalot Member

Northants, UK
    It seems to vary between suppliers, the two I tried in Northampton varied quite a bit in price. I think I end up paying about £45 inc vat for a 10 ltr re-fill of 5%

7. WilC Member

Southampton, UK

just called my local southwest gas stockist for a 20L agron 5 £60 deposit plus £48/49 cant remember thats just under £130 with VAT, picking up on monday, now just need to find a regulator that will connect the bottle to my welder.

do i wait to see the cylinder fitting first or they all standard fitting? my welder has one of those teeny weeny clear straw tube hanging down the back for those disposable gas regulator thingy

8. Jim_gsxr1000

Jim_gsxr1000 Mechanical Magician

U need a conversion kit weldequip sels them

9. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    Contact the distributor direct, Pat Williams is one of the best so you should get a good deal there.

10. Compo New Member

Hi all...
    New to the forum and to this welding malarkey and came across this page.
    Is this offer still running?

Cheers..

11. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    Hi,
    Cashback offer is still on.

Just found out that we have more outlets than any other gas company in the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  12. Turbo Member

Been using pub co2 for mig welding for ages. Got a bottle of the SGS 15% co2/argon mix and tried it out last night. The difference in the welds is amazing. So much smoother, less spatter, much better penetration and a better looking weld. It nearly makes my welds look good! Wish I'd found out about SGS sooner!

Problem now is I'm going to have to relearn the settings on the welder as they differ when using the argon mix. I did notice that the wire feed rate doesn't seem to be as critical with the argon mix, but that was just in a 10 min test.

13. Tony Jackson Member

I just bought my first (10L) bottle the other day. I've had to wait a bit before using it, because my new-to-me Migatronic welder needed its PCB repaired, and this has taken longer than expected. Came back not working, should have come back again today, but didn't...

Expecting to be using it I fitted up the bottle to make sure everything else was ok, and my regulator, previously serving on my TIG set, didn't have different threads or anything. So, I opened the tap a crack and the gauge came up - to 150 Bar. That is 25% less than the stated pressure, which rather alters the economics. So I rang the suppliers, who were very good about it, asked me to bring it in for them to see. I left my gauges on, in case the problem might be with the gauge, and drove the 10 miles or so to the supplier. They pulled out another fresh bottle and we swapped over the gauges. It was now 180 bars. Well, it was close to closing time, and they'd been very good about accepting the original back, so I reckoned that I'd settle for just-about-good-enough, but really this is still 10% short of the stated amount of gas.

Perhaps buyers would be advised to take their gauges along with them when buying gas? Or was I just unlucky?

Best regards, T.

14. I seem to remember that the proprietor of Southwest Gas Supplies saying something about importing brand new bottles that were filled to a lower pressure and it was only when they were refilled that they were filled to the higher pressure?

15. Tony Jackson Member

I remember that, too. But I checked the date on both my cylinders - I think the 150-bar one was 2006, (cant remember the exact date, but it certainly wasn't 2014), the new one has 2011/06 stamped on it under SGS LTD. At least, I presume that is the date? My supplier did say that they'd had several which were under-pressure.

Best, T.

16. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    Hi,
    We fill all Argon and CO2/Argon mix cylinders ourselves. During the filling process the cylinder gets hot ( for obvious reasons) we therefore fill to around 240 bar and
    as the cylinder cools the pressure drops to 200 BAR .
    Because pressure changes depending upon temperature you can expect to see between 180 bar and 210 bar depending upon the temperature of the day.
    Due to the nature of the product leaks can occur if the valve is not closed fully etc. , therefore we offer a no quibble guarantee on our cylinders.
    If for whatever reason a cylinder has less than 180 bar we always tell the distributor to exchange the cylinder.
    As we use the best quality European valves it is very rare that a cylinder that has been returned as faulty has a problem when refilled and the valve etc is checked for leaks.

17. turbo turbo mig

turbo turbo mig Member

is the offer of £20 back on bottles still running, just found this site and has some very interesting reading, i got my sgs bottles on 6/8/14 i got 1 oxygen 20l & 1 argonmix 20l bottle both full and inc surcharge £ 308.33 so would be nice to get a few quid back. ive also got my mate to use your gas and hes had 2 bottles from you as well as a few others ive told about your gas, i wait your reply agautosport

18. logic Member

Hi
    I'm new here so please be gentle with me. I'm restoring a Frogeye so will need to do some MIG welding..... I have a MIG welder but no gas yet so was also wondering if the SW gas cash back offer still exists. I've got a quote for SW gas via APD for Argon/ CO2 mix and will probably use them anyway but it would be nice to reduce the cost if possible. Regards.

19. bs85 Member

Hi,
    Just wondering if the cash back offer is still on. And does it apply to the 30L bottles?

20. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    The cashback offer is still on and it applies to the 30 litre cylinders.

Alan
    Southwest Gas Supplies Ltd

bod1066 likes this.
Advertisements