Some mig welding questions

1. DennisCA

DennisCA Member

I bought some consumables for the torch, the nozzle was looking gnarly but I cleaned it up by putting it in the lathe though, think it will work a while yet. Biggest issue is probably the insulating ring on the back has partially fallen off, but it still works.

Anyway when I got the new nozzles I see I have gotten cylindrical nozzles. Not tapered ones, when I double check the place I bought them from has a picture of a tapered nozzle, but it does say cylindrical nozzle. Are these still OK for normal welding using .8mm wire or are they menant for higher power applications and bigger wire sizes?

2. metalmelt Member

They will be fine, I prefer tapered as it gives more visibility and its a personal choice really.

3. DennisCA

DennisCA Member

Does anyone know where I can get speeds & feeds charts, so I have a clue of what voltage and wire feed speed to use?

I'd like to print one out and hang it on the wall in the shop for referencing.

I've found plenty in imperial but some metric charts would be nicer, my machine uses meters / minute instead of inches and also seeing wire sizes in mm would be nice.

4. Benterrier Member

IMG_20201107_113655(1).jpg

DennisCA likes this.
  5. DennisCA

DennisCA Member

It turns out that even though my welder was missing a similar chart, the wirefeed knob itself had some additional scales for .8 and 1.2mm wire to help you in the right direction.

I've been welding beads for a while now, welding junk pieces of metal with the new mig welder for practice. I started experiencing stuttering last night though halfway through this set of beads, wire feed speed seemed good to me though, did try and fiddle with the controls but didn't seem to get any better, even with the clamp on the piece itself and using a piece of copper braid for better conductivity. The torch has a new contact tip as well.

[​IMG]

I guess I might've used too low a setting. This is 6mm plate and I was using setting 5 and 6 (20.8V and 23V) and a wire feed speed around 6.5 to 8 m/min depending on settings, which lines up well with the above chart IMO.

6. DennisCA

DennisCA Member

I got one of these, one labeled nr 5 and rated for 400A. I will take a look at the pre-tensioning setting on the wire feed unit as well. Also got a tip to check the liner.

[​IMG]

7. DennisCA

DennisCA Member

Turned out I had fiddled with the feed roller pressure and it was too low, turnig it back up fixed the problems, stuttering went away at once.

Heh, well I still wanted a new clamp, old one bends in more than one axis when you open it.

Advertisements