Softening Leather Gloves

1. timgunn1962 Member

It's not just potential flammability that needs to be considered with welding gloves. If you treat them with anything that fills the pores, it will greatly reduce the thermal insulation value: think wet leather vs dry leather or wet/fat-soaked oven gloves vs dry ones. I'm guessing the main reason welding gloves don't behave like other gloves is because they don't seem to have the oily/waxy treatment that gloves not intended to be insulators have.

That said, I'd be interested to know how well any of the suggestions work for welding gloves: it might just be that I'm a crap and careless welder with a tendency to accidentally touch hot bits and that it's not a problem for anyone else.

2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Army never did that,its a myth,was a thing with the french foreign legion doing so,but only to find out that the acid in the urine rotted the feet.
    Coconut oil or saddle oil anything along those lines,best get them wet 1st dont force dry,then rub a little oil in over time.
    A lot depends on the leather,if its pigs skin its not so good,wheres if proper hide from moo cows then good.
    Ex army,and spent time as the CO's batman,great skive at times but bloody boring:thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

FIL is ex RHF. ;)

But ruin the fun why don't you.

Shedendman likes this.
  4. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Yer,funny customs that lot have the other side of the wall:whistle:

5. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

10lb sledgehammer, no smoke and mirrors involved, I need to soften up my hedgelaying mitts a bit before winter

9A8E4497-AB3B-4BC0-9067-92D49AA711D4.jpeg 249943F8-EFF6-42A7-99F0-0FF4E9BFEF4F.jpeg

Seadog, DavidL, Shox Dr and 1 other person like this.
  6. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

You could spend a few hours softening them... or for the price of your time, even at minimum wage, you could buy three new sets?

tom2207 and James1979 like this.
  7. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

I wouldn’t know where to find hedgelaying mitts now - this pair came from a guy near you 20 years ago

tom2207 likes this.
  8. highseas Member

I have a set some where like that with like big cooper staples in the mitt part for grip brill things for ligging hedges

Mick Annick likes this.
  9. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    great minds and all that jazz

Shox Dr likes this.
  10. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    If my welding gloves get crispy from getting too hot I just bray them with a ball pein on some wood a bit of oil helps, if you handle a lot of steel they get covered in oil anyway.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements