So it begins

1. davidjohnperry a different breed

Got the sincosald fired up so nice having various Freq settings got to put the first 30 mins on her the torch is big but it's just a matter of getting used to it but I'm sofar happy with it there is a one thing that is a pain but it's not the end of all ends I might do a proper review on the machine when I get time
    Here is a few pics of my first welds on the machine
    At between 135 amps and 120 amps
    120 Freq
    110 freq
    I should of let the weld cool between passes or dropped the amps but I'm just getting a feeling for the machine just for the moment

• IMG_20190203_165430.jpg
    • IMG_20190203_163501.jpg
    • IMG_20190203_163030.jpg
    • IMG_20190203_163449.jpg
    123hotchef, Bear, Hopefuldave and 7 others like this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Looking decent mate

davidjohnperry likes this.
  3. davidjohnperry a different breed

There ok but it's not auto sport quality yet lol I'm just feeling out the machine tonight gunna get some more hrs on it this week but just got a skip repair dropped in the work shop tonight so need to straighten and weld it up. Also need to use my dad's guillotine to cut all my test pieces as cutting with a grinder is more work then it's worth

MattH likes this.
  4. davidjohnperry a different breed

Trying to make my arc gap bigger is the harder part but as I prefer a tight arc gap

MattH likes this.
  5. davidjohnperry a different breed

Forgot to mention about wave forms as this was square wave off the top of my head. I'm new to all these functions but does wave forms make a difference square triangle ect

6. I'd keep your arc length as short as you can to be honest

7. davidjohnperry a different breed

I can keep a tight arc:laughing: :welder:

MattH likes this.
  8. MattH

MattH Member

David has a habit of keeping a very tight arc I.e. 0.5mm! Leaves a very small pool to try to jab the filler into.

davidjohnperry likes this.
  9. davidjohnperry a different breed

Working on my loose gap technique @MattH

MattH likes this.
  10. I take my earlier comment back, that is a tad on the short side, the way I shake these days I'd spend half my time buried in the weldpool at that

11. davidjohnperry a different breed

Well dad messed up the folds tonight so that skip is not going to be done by tomorrow night so instead of wasting my life force I channeled it in two these cluster chaos of holy rubbish out side corner and and a tee s spent a little time learning what the difference in waves forms do just really learning gunna watch some YouTube to see what they actually do as I only found the sin wave to make a more rippled effect
    Cheers for sticking with me so far it's gunna be a long journey before I'm good still looking around for a sheet metal job

• IMG_20190206_185834.jpg
    • IMG_20190206_192058.jpg
  12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The fillet doesn’t look too bad mate.
    The outside corner looks a bit hot. 4043 tends to give that grainy appearance when the heat input is high.

Square wave is often broken down into different sub-forms. Square wave is a digital waveform so would be straight lines bouncing between two amplitudes. B7BD4F92-D002-4358-89C7-4CD312A3F351.png

The fillet doesn’t look too bad mate.
    The outside corner looks a bit hot. 4043 tends to give that grainy appearance when the heat input is high.
    ng as you get that puddle going and get moving immediately.

Sine wave is basically (attempting to) mimicking what a transformer machine would give you. An inverter will never be as smooth as a transformer.

Soft square wave starts with the standard square wave and puts a slope on the caps to make it a little less harsh.
    This is the general wave most inverters have.

Triangle wave is designed for thinner material and limits the amount of time spent at peak amplitudes.

• 92509C73-0C35-4B82-BD45-9E2A999BD979.png
    • ED1B2338-4834-4E08-9313-A5563F54BB4B.png
    • CB4FEB1B-EB93-4018-ABDA-05F66667E3B9.png
    • 961B5AA2-075F-4B9A-99E5-F34F32CA7BB8.png
    John Hale and Richard. like this.
  13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I have no idea what has happened to the post above will have to sort it out on the computer

Popcorn likes this.
  14. davidjohnperry a different breed

I liked the sin wave it's just playing about with settings welding the corner was just an attempt to improve on feeding wire as I found it uncomfortable in that weld test so I'm just trying to eliminate issues first before I work on getting dimes effects I might just run beads on plate for a bit to get a feeling of better feeding techniques as like you said it looks hot it was difficult to keep up feeding on the last bead

15. Richard.

Richard. Member

The outside corner Dave needs to effectively cut the corner away and in return you replenish that cut away material with your filler. It’s a fine line because going in too hot you’ll sink it or blow it.
    Not hot enough and you’ll not cut enough away and your weld will look too prominent. You want a nice radius around the weld that blends beautifully into both plates. No easy task. I don’t manage it perfect every time that’s for sure.
    Some 1050 sheet examples of half decent ones.

• 16CF54AC-EAF6-40FB-9EEC-ABB063105D58.jpeg
    • A5DDB124-09AA-4966-917E-322D3D390975.jpeg
  16. davidjohnperry a different breed

Right oh gotcha @Richard. I'll work on it over the weekend. The old man says he's gunna clear the guillotine this week if he has I'll bang some test plates through it make boxes and cubes and share the results

Richard. likes this.
  17. davidjohnperry a different breed

Had a play tonight was a hr or so practice my tee fillets weld and my open corner on I think 2 mm and the tee was 3 -4 mm it's a improvement so moving forward slowly I thought this was gunna be easy guess not lol
    Comments welcome although to day I was the touch down king to day it's like my tungsten was magnet and the ally kept being attracted to it
    Ps bottom pic is the pen on the back side

• IMG_20190223_172901.jpg
    • IMG_20190223_172758.jpg
    • IMG_20190223_173011.jpg
  18. Richard.

Richard. Member

Just concentrate on one mate.
    Your outside corners are probably the one to start with.
    A little tip - everyone including myself uses the cup as well as the tungsten a reference to judge distance. Don’t know why we do because it’s not important but our way of thinking makes us do some distance judging with the cup. Push your tungsten a tiny bit further back if your touching regularly. You’ll put the cup back in the same place I guarantee that and you’ll touch down less. For outside corners you want about 3mm protruding. Just enough to see what your doing

19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Look for your tungsten in the pool on aluminium

backpurge likes this.
  20. davidjohnperry a different breed

I'll see what I can practice this week dad's been in the shop last night so I'm expecting everything being destroyed upside down moved and covered in dust

Advertisements