slow wire speed

1. colin460 New Member

hi I have an old sealey supermig 220 and Im having issues with slow wire speed .The wire seems to run free enough but slows right down when you arc the torch. i can work with it at lower power but if i turn it up to 5 on the power setting I cant seem to get thje wire to feed quick enough .the old welders worked awy faultless for years and now this is the first real issue Ive had with it.
    if anyone can help id appreciate it
    thanks Colin new member
    i

2. Malky Member

Experts will be along shortly but have a look at the tension on the reel, may be too tight, or liner needing cleaned/replaced.

3. metalmelt Member

Most obvious is the liner not correctly fitted into the head end or the contact tip being clogged.

We always carry a small rotary wire brush to clean the outside and nozzle cleaners for the bore.

4. colin460 New Member

OK thanks

5. Robert Mullins Member

Check the 'passive' wire drive roller spins freely;
    Ensure that the wire size, contact tip are drive roller groove are compatable
    Is the drive roller pressure correct
    Is the drive roller groove clean and in good condition
    Any guide tube between drive rollers and torch lead needs to be both clean and free of wear
    Fit a new liner as a matter of course
    Fit a new tip
    Ensure the liner is cut to the correct length, and that when cut any burr is removed
    Check also that the drive rollers are in the correct position, that screws, bolts, spacers and spigots are fitted,

6. Nauticus

Nauticus If l let my mind wander, its often gone for weeks!

Also, check your supply voltage at the welder. Long cables, a large compressor running or even a reduced mains supply voltage could make the little wire feed motor run more slowly.

I did have a similar but intermittent problem with my Sealey mig. After carefully removing the wire spool and giving the mounts a thorough clean and a wipe down, followed by a silicon spray on all moving parts (NOT the drive rollers - just the spool supports), it has worked perfectly ever since.

Malc.

Advertisements