Slippy deck

1. nickk Forum Supporter

i would like to re surface my trailer with grippy ply like Ifor Williams use but heard it’s very expensive,as it’s 19’ I need several,is there an alternative,I’ve tried the gritty floor paint without success.

2. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

2mm Ally tread plate on top of marine ply?. I've done a couple like that, it looks very nice when done properly.

Parm and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  3. nickk Forum Supporter

Never liked that idea as the steel slides too easily,even when strapped.

4. rory1

rory1 Member

FYI non slip phenolic ply is the name for the board the trailer manufacturers use.

nickk likes this.
  5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Seem to remember a 2 part non slip epoxy floor paint which might work?...never tried it myself but I did some research several years ago. Can't even remember why I looked into it in the first place though!

My experience with the garage floor is the regular paint is hopeless at sticking...the epoxy stuff seems to last alot longer....but I still end up doing a repaint every few years!

6. knighty Forum Supporter

search for buffalo board - I'm not sure if that's a make or just the given name to the phenolic ply you want... but that's the right stuff

was £90/sheet for 19mm iirc from the last time I bought some but that was a few years ago

7. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have made my own non slip on several boat decks that has worked quite well.
    I used very fine aquarium gravel - more like very coarse sand. Sprinkled it onto wet paint. Let it dry - then several more coats of paint rollered over the top.

Gwil and Pigeon_Droppings2 like this.
  8. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I redecked my IW tiltbed about fifteen years ago with decent ply and staple nailed expanding steel to it, most of what I load onto it is covered in mud but nothing ever slides off wheeled or tracked .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I like the supported grass driveway too....very nicely done.

10. Stok board , recycled plastic fixed over the existing floor has a non slip surface , I know FWB at Wrexham stock it if your not far from them , wynstay farmers prob do too ?
    I have the same expanded mesh as bob on my low loader trailer I just carry wheeled machines and rubber tracks ed ones get torn up with steel tracks I expect .

11. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have some stokboard pretty fine finish so probably not that non slip if it is wet.

Isnt it funny that with all these modern materials wood is still the norm on trailers and lorry decks!

12. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I suppose if its to stop steel sliding about it will need rubber glued/screwed to the deck, tennis court off cuts ( below) are a freebee and used conveyor belt from a quarry normally changes hands for a drink.

Bob

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. IMG_0424.JPG Yea bob I used to have some strips of old rubber conveyor belt when I worked for another company to put on the slippy wooden deck of an anchient low loader ,

Just carry mewps with the mesh floor trailer

14. CompoSimmonite Member

I like the mesh idea if the existing ply is sound.

15. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

Good job a kiwi isn't saying the title :ashamed:

16. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

We use to use conveyor belt also for the back of our pickups. It's heavy and very hard wearing.

Advertisements