SIP 05162 (P177) AC/DC - worth a punt?

1. julianf

julianf Member

I have an option on one of these -

https://www.craigmoreonline.co.uk/sip-05162-weldmate-p177-ac-dc-tig-arc-inverter

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/wel...f-ac-dc-tig-arc-inverter-welde-/p/SIP8800516C

Im pretty dubious of SIP welders really. I had a SIP mig which i gave away (free) to a friend, and really didnt feel like i was doing him a favor at all (i did warn him and he was still [foolishly] game!)

My gut says no, but its cheap for an ac unit (£300) - but good value and cheap are really not the same thing. I can have a go on the unit, but my only gas is argoshield light, so, maybe ok to see if it arcs and that, but not much else.

Anyone got any comments?

2. bwservices Member

you should be able to get the 200 amp version for that price,new,on ebay in a different colour.

3. julianf

julianf Member

Are you sure? Im on about an AC machine, not a DC one...

If you understand that, have you got a link?

4. bwservices Member

5. Andy_P New Member

Havant - UK
    Occasional lurker here - I think I've seen the same machine you're looking at (in Crediton?). I've also owned a SIP MIG and couldn't give it away to my old man, which lead me here to see if their TIG's are any better. Could be worth a punt at £300 if it were local to me.

6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Richard. and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  7. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

the pic of the sip look better quality than the china one the conections etc look better made ?

8. Ruffian Member

If you want to borrow some pure argon let me know as only over in cullompton and I owe you a favour for setting me up with that vice :thumbup:

If you do really struggle take the welder to alley cat fabrications and just ask them to give it a whirl. Will sink or swim.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  9. bwservices Member

bandits.
    just a link to one,wouldnt buy off them
    direct from china is probably the cheapest way

as to the sip being built better,better connections etc, not really. minor differences that wont really change reliability

Hood likes this.
Advertisements