Single-track roads.......

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Having visited friends in Achmelvich today [for those who've never been up that way, Google Earth to see - it's lovely on a beautiful day like today's been :thumbup:] I was heading back to the main road from their house, on the stretch of single-track road, following behind another car.

He encountered another car coming the opposite way, between passing places. Car 2 attempted to reverse to the passing place on her side, and in doing so managed to drop her o/s front wheel down into a water-filled ditch :vsad:. She was really lucky as she just missed half a dozen big stones....:whistle:, but was stuck fast, having 'beached' the underside of her car.

Cars began to build up behind her [heading home for tea? :laughing:] so no-one was going anywhere. My friends had told me that the last time similar happened it was 2 x campervans who thought they could squeeze past one another but ended up with one dropped off the road on one side and the other did the same on his side :rolleyes:. It took 3.5 hours for the recovery wagon to get to them [think other vehicles with no chance of turning on the narrow road] and get the road open again.

Half a dozen of us decided we could get her moving again, and with n/s doors open and two standing on the cills and the rest lifting & pushing she managed to get back onto the road again. No fluid leaks from underneath, so she was a lucky girl :), and we all went happily on our way.

Just shows that some people have no idea on how to reverse safely, and I'm not casting aspirations of the ability of female drivers here, some men are just as bad if not worse. Can't be too careful on these very narrow roads up here. :thumbup:

2. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin

Pony and trap roads.

Hopefuldave and octo0072000 like this.
  3. Beeezer Member

Had plenty of fun on those type of roads when I done my road trip up there!
    I was in my van so could really see in to the distance for cars coming the other way.
    People drive like t...s and a fair few of them couldn’t reverse for there lives!!

4. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Regularly have it around here, I'd rather reverse 1 mile than wait for some to reverse 10 yards! People dont know how to use mirrors these days...

5. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

We live down a single track lane and its sometimes easier to back up myself rather than wait for the dimwit in front of me to do anything useful! Most of the neighbours know the score but some of the dog walkers or trade vehicles are useless. Sometimes I just go round them in the truck using the verge like a wall of death, that gets some funny looks :laughing:

cocker, jerrytug, octo0072000 and 2 others like this.
  6. I drive a milk tanker for a living mostly on farm collections and we get to go up Some really tight lanes , you know the type with grass up the middle and high banks with overgrown hedges on top .
    Some locals do go at silly speeds down them ,had a few close calls and had to anchor up sharpish on. Blind bends when some loon is not expecting 32tonnes of cow juice and scania to be there:doh:
    On the other hand most folk on the routes we use CAN actually reverse there probably used to us and know we are there roughly the same time each day .
    Know one guy who was in snowdonia somewhere with a low loader with bulldozer , blade hanging over the sides obviously , meets a car and caravan :whistle: after several minutes and failed attempts he admits he can't reverse it , :dontknow::ashamed:
    Truck driver ends up reversing it out of the way , he'd prob still be there otherwise . :p

ronan, octo0072000 and Wallace like this.
  7. RichardM Member

We have them in Derbyshire as well, even worse when they close the main roads and people use the side roads!

8. Wallace

Wallace Member

I was given a super clean little VW Polo with a slightly damaged o/s roof gutter and a couple of small dents in the roof from hitting a Range Rover. Apparently the Range Rover was going quite fast and drove past the passing point so the lad in the Polo went up the bank to avoid hitting Lady Muck head on. Once stopped, the Polo fell on the Range Rover bonnet! :laughing:

9. Brummie Member

Seen some very poor examples of drivers not using passing places since the NC500 has grown in popularity.

10. 4String. Member

Been there, done that, got lots of t-shirts :whistle:.

In my experience, most car owners have trouble driving correctly on a wide 2 lane road in broad daylight. Put them on a single tracker with passing places and it’s a recipe for disaster :rolleyes:. (Ffs, most people struggle on a motorway where everyone is going the same way in a straight line!!!)

Having driven many thousands of miles in the Highlands and Islands in an 18 metre long 44 ton artic, I’ve lost count of the times I’ve had to reverse cars, campervans, and wobble boxes out of the way after their owners have encountered me and frozen like rabbits in headlights. The Island folk have always seemed more clued up on this, but they’re obviously used to it. Have had many a cheery wave of thanks from them after getting out of their way.

Best moment I ever had was delivering sewage tanks to tiny villages out in the Hampshire sticks. Making my way out from one drop, along narrow twisty roads the same width as the wagon, I came across three cars heading towards me, who all predictably panicked at the sight of me. Next thing I know, a rather stout lady clad in Tweed and undoubtedly of some breeding appeared in the field next to me riding a horse. She reined the horse in at the side of my cab, and in a cultured voice asked me what the problem was. I pointed out the cars, and she told me to “...Wait right there young man!”, she reined the horse around, emerged through a gap in the hedge, and in the most imperious voice layed into the car drivers. “ You there!, Yes you, reverse into the field behind you. Come along, quickly now, this gentleman in his lorry has work to do, he can’t wait all day! Do hurry up, you’re blocking the road...”, and so on. Probably the local Lady of the Manor, she was obviously used to dealing with the lower orders, but it was a real treat watch her in action. I sat grinning like a Cheshire Cat as she sorted them out, and had I been wearing one I’d have doffed my cap to her as I drove off

I’ve often thought of writing a book about life through the windscreen, but most of it would read like one of Aesop’s Fables :D:D:D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Spent years driving on Jersey.
    For the most it's narrow country lanes and lots of single track
    Nothing like an artic or double decker to make you squeeze in tight to the hedgerows.

Devon has some great single track roads too.

Especially in a wide lwb van.

Lots of drivers in this country can't drive on the backroads.
    Had a woman in a new disco force me off the road so she didn't get her Chelsea tractor dusty half an hour ago

Hopefuldave, Mikey D and ronan like this.
  12. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

That's what dash cams and having the right of way are for.....:thumbup:

Hopefuldave likes this.
  13. eLuSiVeMiTe

That's quality
    I agree re Islanders after living on Jersey for years.
    Fortunately all hire cars over there had a big red H at the start of the number plate.
    Gave us plenty of warning to avoid the Horror cars (local slang)

Hopefuldave and ronan like this.
  14. 4String. Member

Whilst on the A1M recently, I was overtaken by a car displaying a green “P” plate, the “driver” of which sat in lane 2 of an otherwise empty 3 lane motorway until it was gone from my sight.

I can only wonder that someone who’s only just passed their test has developed such a bad and illegal habit so quickly...

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  15. eLuSiVeMiTe

We learn from our parents and friends.

I spent years being ferried around in vehicles up to 7.5 ton and spent a fair bit of time as a driver's mate when I was younger. Also spent a lot of time mixing with traffic on push and motorbikes.
    Probably helped a lot to my driving ability

Hopefuldave, ronan and octo0072000 like this.
  16. Migmac

Migmac Member

I get this regularly on the roads here, folk not able to go back

17. eLuSiVeMiTe

Painful viewing.
    Htf did they get a licence

18. 4String. Member

It’s painful and hilarious at the same time.

It’s also very worrying that people are so bad at doing something which is essentially simple. The real worry for me is when it’s the emergency services who need to get through. The thought of someone dying as a result of an ambulance or fire engine being held up by one of these idiots doesn’t bear thinking about, which is why to this day I still drive by the mantra “ Only a fool breaks the two second rule”. It takes two seconds to say, and it leaves a safe gap for me, and room to manoeuvre should it be necessary. If Mr, Mrs, or Miss Muppet take that gap, which is in effect my braking distance, I automatically back off to maintain the gap. As for the “hang onto the vehicle in front’s back bumper” brigade, that beggars belief...

19. I was down in Devon one day with an artic ,main road but with a pinch point met a car , coloured gent in the sticks it in reverse no looking behind or mirror use :whistle:, backs up narrowly missing car that had pulled up behind him :doh::laughing:....

ronan likes this.
  20. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    The best training ever for driving in tight spots has to be a forklift. You spend as much time going backwards as you do forwards.

Advertisements