Sill Repair on Hilux Surf

1. ian price Member

The offside's all done, masked and sprayed along the whole under sill and part of the arch and all inside the wheel arch, arch extensions refitted and not a lot of my welding efforts on show, main thing is all the rots gone and it all seems nice and strong, now for the other side!!, bumpers are starting to go but that can wait till I have honed my stainless steel tube welding skills enough to make a tube jobby to replace the rear bumper all together:thumbup:

• IMG_1227.JPG
    • IMG_1231.JPG
    • IMG_1230.JPG
    • IMG_1234.JPG
    • IMG_1235.JPG
    • IMG_1236.JPG
    galooph, MattF and Rig Pig like this.
  2. MattF

MattF Forum Supporter

The arch flares are devils for promoting & hiding corrosion, aren't they. Nice work Ian. :)

3. ian price Member

Thanks Matt and yes they certainly are, I never dreamed it was that bad behind there, still nearly done and hopefully back on the road, you don't half miss your transport, sodding busses, hate em always gobshites and screaming kids:laughing:

4. ian price Member

All done, bits back on and MOT'd!, you cant see much (thankfully) when the flared arch extensions are on, I got on very well with the Parweld, so much easier than the old SIP, next project when I've finished rendering part of the house is a wheel lift (like the Sealey in the pic) I struggled for half an hour to get the rear wheel back on, just don't have the strength to sit and lift it at the same time, fronts aint so bad as I can hump the wheel onto the manual lockers and just rotate to line up the studs.

• 31Gj9mIvnkL.jpg
    • IMG_1241.JPG
    • IMG_1245.JPG
    • IMG_1247.JPG
  5. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

A trick I use to get heavy wheels on is use a shovel as a lever. Makes life easy!

123hotchef and stuvy like this.
  6. stuvy

stuvy Member

Are surfs bolts or nuts for the wheels? Iv got some tapered bolts specially for lining up wheels

I must admit it’s the one benefit of being a ford fan easy wheel changes

I too use a shovel especially when I fitted 40’s

• FE7FA872-8718-421B-92C6-BB5AE71FFB12.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. ian price Member

Yes I have used a shovel when outside the garage but having it laid up inside for the welding I don't have much room between the side of the truck and the wall, like I said I used to be able to sit straggling the wheel and lift it up but I seem to have buggerall strength nowadays plus the old knee and rheumatics!!, thought this would be a nice little job to do on the bench, especially after seeing what price these Sealey things go for:o
    doing the fronts aint too bad as I can hoist the wheel onto the locking hub and then just need to turn it to line up, Its the rears with the flat brake drum plus the centre caps fit in from the back so I cant see through the big hole in the middle:laughing:, think it'll be a nice little project and a chance to use the MIG on slightly thicker metal (2mm wall, 20mmX20mm box) got the metal but it's acting as a guard rail on my scaffold tower at the mo, (rendering part of the house, and the platform's at it's highest)

Advertisements