Show us your knives

1. Ruffian Member

So with all this talk of knives and the law,
    (To be discussed in another thread not here)

This is just to show what you got and use daily.
    My 2 are a opinel, and a folding job Stanley knife.
    But currently modifying the opinel to make it more user friendly

• IMG_20191103_105743_143.jpg
  2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I think an knife with a blade that can be locked out is not legal, Do the Opinel still have the rotating ring to lock out the blade?

Parm likes this.
  3. Ruffian Member

I am trying to keep this a show us your knives rather than anything else. A locking blade is illegal unless good reason to carry.

Yes the opinel do still have the lock rings on them but can be altered with a bit of stainless welding.

stuvy and gordon stephenson like this.
  4. Climber

Climber Member

This is my current every day carry. I'm a fully paid up knife carrier and have been for about 35 years. I have a knife if my pocket every single day, from the time I get up, to the time I go to bed.
    IMG_20191103_164559.jpg

5. johnik

johnik Member

[​IMG]
    this may or may not have once been owned by me, quality German engineering 100_0669.JPG

miggie weld, jsf55 and stuvy like this.
  6. Migmac

Migmac Member

This is the majority of mine, got others somewhere in the house. The odd looking one is a Wyoming knife, a couple of hand crafted ones. A puma skinner which is terrible, won’t hold an edge. Glad I didn’t buy it. The big Colt is a cracker, holds an edge beautifully. A bit big for my liking. The orange and black Mora is my everyday knife. Holds an edge. If it gets lost, it’s no huge loss. Only costs £7. The one on the right edge of the middle row was a gift from a Norwegian hunter, his father made it. It’s rubbish, cant use it as the handle is very very slippy

08B92B78-65C3-46B5-B79F-8188C1998868.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    miggie weld, stuvy, Parm and 3 others like this.
  7. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

CRKT make some absolutely lovely knives, the outburst system is a delight to use.

My current two. I would very much like a CRKT clever girl folder and a CEO, though not the rubbish UK EDC version.

IMG_20191103_184713.jpg

8. mpats

mpats Forum Supporter

Aberdeen
    I pretty much always carry my swiss army knife with me, plus a CRKT like @Climber.
    20191103_183124.jpg
    If I'm out shooting I usually take my Nordic W11
    20191103_183145.jpg
    And over the years I've accumulated a few others, these are most that are close at hand, not including multi-tools.
    20191103_183700.jpg
    There's a kukri missing, it's in the loft. The Openel in the middle I was given by my parents when I was about 12 and it has seen plenty of use. The Kurki without a sheath was rescued from a second hand shop for a few quid, it's in the project pile to be cleaned up and have a nice wooden sheath made for it. The Fairbairn Sykes came back from WW2 with my Grandpa, he swapped a German Luger he had acquired for it with a commando so the story goes.

stuvy, ronan, Parm and 2 others like this.
  9. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Not strictly a knife but has a blade

I have two, one always lives in the car and other is always in my work rucksack
    883129A7-FA87-4EE7-B7AD-82CE90239AE7.jpeg

Edit: I have plenty of knives but they never leave home. I don’t do anything outside the house that requires me to use or carry a knife

10. premmington

premmington Member

[​IMG]

My Calumet Forge de Laguiole horn handled pipe knife/tamper from France - wanted one for years - had to save up - they are £144. I would sulk if I lost it - as they don't make them anymore - no real demand for pipe smokers knives now I would think?

[​IMG]

Spent ages choosing between a briar wood, bone or horn handle? The wooden handled one was cheaper - the bone/horn handled ones were the same price.

Chap I know - who is into his eighties - when I was talking to him about it - reckons bone shrinks in time - but horn does not! So I went for the horn handled one. Time will tell if it good advice.

I carry this everyday in my pipe smoking case - I am always scraping smoking pipes out with it - plus I use it for opening boxes etc.

11. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I have a collection of knives including Moras and CRKT but the one that goes everywhere with me I've had for over 50 years. I broke the back spring and it got put in a drawer till I found some steel to make a new spring. Not many days when it doesn't get used to cut or open something
    . penknife.jpg

miggie weld, Parm and mpats like this.
  12. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I have a varient of that, and a kreigs marine dress dagger.

johnik likes this.
  13. Migmac

Migmac Member

That’s a really nice looking knife

14. Ruffian Member

I have only heard good things about these Mora knives and am tempted about getting one to try as my buck knives are a bit overkill for most tasks, (unless actual game)

15. Migmac

Migmac Member

For what they cost they are a good knife. Easily cleaned, sheath can be chucked in the washing machine. Holds an edge really well, I’ve gralloched 100 plus deer this last month on two sharpens

slim_boy_fat and Ruffian like this.
  16. premmington

premmington Member

Thanks... It was a lot of money for a pen knife. I have had it nearly ten years now - use it everyday - it still makes a lovely "clunk" when you undo it.

I had been using a collection of sheeps foot bladed pen knives for pipes over the years - but they erode the bottom of your favorite pipes - I wanted a round nosed blade with a spike. The end of it is flat to use as a tamper - to save burning your fingers.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Parm likes this.
  17. earthman Member

You can get an Opinel without a rotating lock ring, the one I have has a blade well under 3 inches long so totally legal to carry for those 'just in case' moments when you may need to cut something.:)

18. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

My next door neighbor Mr Ash was a pipe smoker, he had a nice like that.

premmington likes this.
  19. johnik

johnik Member

when i were a lad, my old man would remove the clip and let us play cowboys and indians with a luger :o he brought back from his trip to France, no idea where that went tho:(

dobbslc, ronan, Parm and 2 others like this.
  20. premmington

premmington Member

There is something about a quality pen knife that holds my attention.

My Russian fitter who works for me - has a little Boker Barlow Damascus bladed folding pocket knife - he carries everyday.

If I pick it up to use it - I stop and admire it for a few seconds. It is just such a lovely - simple attractive well made thing with a black bog oak handle. He keeps it as sharp as a razor.

(Edit: Found a picture of a new one)
    [​IMG]

miggie weld, Sputter, mpats and 6 others like this.
Advertisements