Show us your bench vice(s)

1. Turbo Member

A warm welcome to the VA meeting dobbslc.:hug:

2. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

OK. OK. OK.
    I am becoming a Vice-oholic.
    I thought it was a passing phase, but I think I need to share.

I was happy with my few vices, all worked well.
    Then.
    I was donated a Record 24, still waiting on that.
    I saved a Record 23 and donated it, feel good factor there. (hope for me yet?)

But, alas, when trying to help a member here I was ambushed, I nearly got away.
    But I was weak, I fell victim to my VA.

I would say I am sorry. But.

SAM_1677.JPG

SAM_1673.JPG SAM_1675.JPG

3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Oh yes.
    I blame you, you know who I mean.

4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

SAM_1685.JPG

There they are, the first 2.
    Fresh from de rusting tank and wiped clean.
    They will be wiped over with a wax and left as they are.

Seadog likes this.
  5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

SAM_1724.JPG

There is the Record 23 in it's new home.

Scruffywelder likes this.
  6. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Got my Record 52 to go with the 53A. Pics to follow. It's covered in grease and two coats of paint, red and green on top of the record blue. I love taking it all off and restoring these things!

7. cdsmith15

cdsmith15 Member

Broken Vice.jpg Since this is the second time I hhave had a vice break, I think my needs are beyond what cheap vices can handle. On the plus side I did fill out the Lifetime Warranty form.

However, I am in the market for a new vice. Will post in the Wanted section. But not sure what I am after so would be keen for advice on the best way forward on how to choose which is best.

Thanks.

8. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

what other one did you brake another cheapy ?

if so a record seams to be very good quality i my self stay away from the quick release ones they are the only ones i have ever had a problem with

cdsmith15 likes this.
  9. cdsmith15

cdsmith15 Member

Yeah, pretty much identical to the one pictured. I don't mind paying for quality as long as it is quality and not just an expensive dud!

I admit I haven't read all 83 pages of this thread but will no doubt find some crackers by looking back!

10. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Just go with a quality vice, Record, Parkinson, etc. I would say opposite of angellonewolf above. I have not had a problem with my quick release vices that a clean will not sort (and they are used all day).
    I haven't got the time to stand there winding a vice in and out! :laughing:

MattF, cdsmith15 and arther dailey like this.
  11. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Silverline :clapping::whistle::doh:

I've seen plenty of Record and Paramo vices, top quality British. I've got a Victorian/Edwardian leg vice again a proper job. They crop up on Ebay from time to time for about £20

12. cdsmith15

cdsmith15 Member

I know I know. I am champion at learning the hard way. :doh:

dazza likes this.
  13. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i will say all of the vices i have ever owned are from bootsales hence probably why i had problems and take note of what the others say in makes of vices i only know of record but know there are more out there and with the wide range of people with expriance on here

14. winchman

winchman Member

I have a couple of Record vices, go for the older models made in England.
    I also have a Fortis Unbreakable Vice, its old, battered and a bit rough around the edges, not quite as well engineered as some of the records, but I love it, £10 at a car boot sale!

cdsmith15 likes this.
  15. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Boot sales and autojumble are normally the best places to find a good old vice I'd say.
    Stick to Record Paramo etc and you'll be ok. Don't bother with unbranded crap or even the Irwin ones as I don't think there much cop either.

cdsmith15 likes this.
  16. MattF

MattF Member

Parkinson, Woden, old Record, Paramo, Fortis; You can't really go wrong with any of those. My personal favourite are the Parkinsons.

As Ton-up said, it's rare to find a terminal quick release mechanism one, and they're a pleasure to use compared to a plain screw type, especially if you use your vice a lot. Worst case scenario is usually a broken spring, which is easily enough remedied. Most QR problems are usually due to it needing a clean, usually due to solidified grease. It's rare for excess wear on the screw side of things to be a problem.

BarrieJ and cdsmith15 like this.
  17. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

you guys could have said that 20 years ago ive chucked a least 3 away in my time

18. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

I have once had a spring break on me on a wood vice qr mechanism, they're a pain to get made and I just made it into a plain vice.

19. BarrieJ

BarrieJ Member

As rtbcomp says above, a blacksmith's leg vice is a very useful piece of kit and they come in a wide range of jaw sizes and weights. eBay certainly proves a useful source; although I've picked up a couple from a skip at the local metal recycler's. They can be attached to a bench, to a dedicated stand or to the front of a forge (if you're so equipped). They can take a huge amount of abuse but are no substitute for a bench mounted engineer's vice. The drawback; the jaws don't close square to one another but in the arc from which the forward jaw is pivoted. The advantages are that hammer blows are fed through the leg into the floor, hence their popularity with blacksmiths. Saves your engineer's vice for fine work. A leg vice makes a nice restoration project, will last a lifetime (it probably already has) and if you've got the room get one. DSCN3603.jpg

20. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

^^ That looks quite modern by most I've seen.

Advertisements