Show us your bench vice(s)

1. ford34/2 Member

Cramlington,Northumberland. United Kingdom
    • big vice.jpg
    • 2016-05-03 18.34.20.jpg
  2. Maker

Maker King in the North

Winterfell (Well, Sheffield but it's starting to feel like it)
    Shame the screw is missing:whistle::laughing:.

3. CwazyWabbit Member

They are great vices but there is one thing you can't do with them. You can't use them to compress anything, well not much anyway.

4. CwazyWabbit Member

That's a nice vice, I've seen one on eBay before but don't know anything about them. I like the totally enclosed slide.

5. CwazyWabbit Member

Learned something new today about Record vices.
    Whilst it's common to think that Record vices have the rounded screw end up until some time in the late 60's it turns out that rule doesn't apply to the mechanics vices i.e the No 00 through to No 8. Even in my 1935 catalogue they have the cylindrical screw end. Also the mechanics vices look like they may actually have the year of manufacture stamped on the underside of the base.

6. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

After a spot of advice from the knowledgable vice squad (see what I did?) if they would be so kind :hug:

Parkinson 8A in decent fettle. Surface rust as it's been unused in a year. Haven't checked QR yet but handle is straight and unabused.

Asking price is forty notes, does that seem a fair price?

I've already got a Record 23 but this seems a bit heftier to me, am I wrong?

Thanks peeps! :)

arther dailey likes this.
  7. MattF

MattF Forum Supporter

The 8A is a fair old chunk of iron. :D 6" jaws, and just over 90lb in weight. £40 ain't a bad price, especially if it's in decent nick bar the rust. Make sure there are no cracks and the QR is working okay, and there's little else that can go wrong. This is a 8A alongside my 7, which is roughly equivalent to the 23, if I recall correctly. You can see there's a tad of difference in size. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eSCHEn likes this.
  8. CwazyWabbit Member

I'd happily pay 40 quid for an 8A.
    Check for cracks as Matt says and if the QR isn't working properly take a quick look underneath as it may just be gummed up.

MattF and eSCHEn like this.
  9. Badbusboy Member

England
    I have recently had a look at my dad's vice and it is a record 36. What are they made of and are they any good?

10. CwazyWabbit Member

They are one of the top of the range vices, they are made of a metal that gets described as (malleable/ductile/Spheroidal Graphite/SG iron) which is much better than standard cast iron and far less likely to crack. They are a very good vice.

11. Badbusboy Member

England
    Thanks crazy rabbit. He may have worked in lue of it, what cost, not that I intend to sell it. It will be with me till I pop me clogs :)

12. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Much obliged gents, ta :hug:

It's being sold by a relative of the deceased owner who doesn't know the prices. I don't want to haggle in that situation so wanted an idea beforehand.

13. CwazyWabbit Member

List price for a new one is about a grand, used ranges from around £60 - £200

14. Badbusboy Member

England
    Thanks crazy rabbit, that list price is truly crazy! Much obliged, looks like I'll be passing that on to children's children eventually.

CwazyWabbit likes this.
  15. CLD

CLD Member

I've just been to a kiddies farm with my son down in London and they had certainly put some time into fabricating some amazing art work, climbing frames and various adventure things like this..
    image.jpeg
    As we went through the buildings I came across the blacksmiths shop (no photos) and their wood workshop and on the bench was this
    image.jpeg

Good little workshop too
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

MattF likes this.
  16. Richard.

Richard. Member

Well I have just yesterday stripped my little vice down to the gubbings and given her a full service, clean and lube up before putting her all back together and a fresh coat of blue.
    I've no clue what it is as there is no name anywhere to be seen. I have had it since I was an apprentice when it was given to me by my first boss. It's not particularly big and I can't imagine it was a dear one but god it's good. For a 4 inch jaw its heavy and really solid. I have a record too same size but this little no namer is my favourite one. It's been with me since day one in the big wide world.
    Bear in mind I have used it. It only looks new now since a fresh coat of paint was well overdue.

• image.jpeg
    MattF and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. arther dailey Member

well you obviously had better bosses than I ever had! nice one. Arther

18. CwazyWabbit Member

You obviously look after your tools, no amount of painting and cleaning would cover up the abuse often seen on vices. Yours has been used and not abused :)

19. Richard.

Richard. Member

Thanks
    None of my stuff is ever abused.

CwazyWabbit likes this.
  20. norlander

norlander Member

My first bench vice was given away, my second one acts as a door stop.
    I've been using this thing for 15 years or so. Mine sits on a wheeled frame I made up, so I just push, it rotate it as I need it handy when grinding as I can direct the sparks and smeg out the shop door.
    If I need it somewhere else, or need it super stable it just lifts out the frame.

julianthegypsy, candor and Farside like this.
Advertisements