Shielding gas

1. Steven Paz New Member

Hi there i am a complete novice at welding and was told i can use c02 that they use in pubs is this correct?

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

You need to be careful with pub gas, some is pure CO2 and some a mix of CO2 and nitrogen, you want the pure stuff.

3. Steven Paz New Member

Thanks for the reply what gas % wise is best to go for?
    Do you rent the bottles or can you buy them ?

4. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

The most economical is 100% CO2 which comes as a liquid in the bottle, or you can get CO2/Argon mix which is better but more expensive and comes as a compressed gas.

First and foremost avoid those small disposable bottles that you get from Machine Mart and the like, they last about 10 mins and cost a fortune.

Have a look at the top of this forum http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/forums/shielding-gas-and-regulators.27/ for what's on offer, it really depends who's local to you. Some places rent bottles, some charge you a one-off fee and the bottle becomes your property, in both cases you then pay to swap your empty bottle for a full one. The most popular ones for DIY welders are the pub-sized CO2 bottles which are usually non-rental.

Don't forget you'll need a regulator to fit on the bottle.

5. Richard Stowe New Member

I get my gas from GasUK you pay a deposit for the bottle and get it back if you get the bottle back or a refill. I personally use their unwieldy bottles it's a mix of argon co2 and I think it's helium and it works a treat. It's a case of reading the descriptions and seeing what is best for what you need

6. T0rnado69

T0rnado69 DIY nut !!

isnt that mix for stainless.?

7. if you're welding mild steel that gas mix is not ideal, also it's going to be a very expensive way of doing it. As said above it's primarily for welding stainless

8. Richard Stowe New Member

The description says it's for thin steel upto about 5mm it really helps

9. Richard Stowe New Member

To be fair it might have been! I was typing without looking at the receipt it's been awhile since I got the bottle I've got to get a new one Monday I ran out

10. Richard Stowe New Member

No just looked definitely helium

11. Richard Stowe New Member

68%argon
    20%helium
    12%co2
    £50+£60 bottle deposit +£10vat
    GasUK. Co. Uk

12. Richard Stowe New Member

Auto spelling on this tablet

13. Definately more suited to stainless steel, total overkill for carbon steel, especially for a hobbyist type application but if it works for you and you can justify the cost keep using it

pdg likes this.
  14. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    A simple mix of 5%CO2/95% Argon would be fine for welding mild steel .
    You probably have a local distributor for our gases and we still offer forum members a cashback on their first cylinder.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018
Advertisements