SGS SC100

1. Furiokid Member

Looking at upgrading my little 25 litre compressor to get something bigger. Seen a post on here saying about the SGS SC100 having issues after buying. I was looking at them myself in the Black Friday deals and just wondered as a consensus that they’re rubbish or just unlucky with the odd one as could happen with any product?

Also, what SGS are like as a company for warranty etc as there’s mixed reviews everywhere. It says 2 year warranty but doesn’t mean much if the company isn’t upto it.

The construction of it looks identical to a lot of others on the market including Draper etc? Guessing made by same place and then just badged up as whatever make.

Thanks for any input

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Iirc SGS are what Costco sell - at least a couple of compressors in the warehouse when I was there last but there are none showing on their site today. Maybe Christmas has crowded them out temporarily?

3. Wallace

Wallace Member

Looks similar to many other generic direct drive Vee twin compressors. They are VERY noisy, relying on rpm to provide the flow. I have worked with a couple of them and I hate the way they burst into life on full revs instantaneously, usually when you are right next to bastid things!

Have you looked at the Clarke Industrial range?

northwest and Parm like this.
  4. Furiokid Member

I have looked at Clarke, also SIP and the Fiac range from R-tec as well. From what I’ve read, if going for quietness then a belt driven compressor is the way to go?

I’m looking for one that I can use for spraying? I used my 25 litre one before but JD to stop after every panel to build pressure up

5. Wallace

Wallace Member

Yes, belt drive is quieter, if you have to share space with a direct drive compressor they are painfully noisy.
    I'm no expert on spraying, what gun do you have? CFM is what you need and a good-sized tank helps, the next drawback is power supply as a reasonable CFM compressor will need a 16 or 32A supply on 240V.

Furiokid likes this.
  6. Furiokid Member

I can’t honestly remember what spray guns it is I’ve got now as it was a few years ago when I sprayed last, but i know they were HPLV guns due to the fact I was only using a 25 litre compressor. It did the job ok, but as I say I had to stop after every panel and it was running constantly.

I’m not in any rush to get one, it was purely as I saw the SGS one in the Black Friday deal, but from reading a couple of posts on here and a few suggestions I think a belt driven is the step forward as the compressor is in my workshop rather than enclosed outside/separate

Wallace likes this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Their SGS90 would be a better buy, it looks like the Wolf Dakota one I got from UKHSTV which has now gone up from the £199 I paid for mine. I can spray with my gravity gun and the tank will refill faster than the 1.4 HVLP spraygun empties it.

skotl, Furiokid and Wallace like this.
  8. Furiokid Member

I did look at the 90 litre belt driven SGS one as well but again I wasn’t sure if the quality was any better or how the customer service of SGS was as seeing so many mixed reviews?

9. splatterboy New Member

Had my SGS 50L direct drive since Feb, used a lot with a plasma cutter, well built, cost the same as my previous 25L did 20 years ago. Alternative is 3 times the price, I am hobby only though, if you are industrial, buy industrial.

10. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I have a Wolf Dakota 90L belt drive compressor, which I also bought from UKHS, and I really rate it. If SGS do one that looks like it came from the same factory then I'd give that a punt.
    In related news, I bought a generator from SGS a couple of years ago: price was really good and delivery was very fast (think it was 48 hours).

So thumbs-up for SGS from me.

Edit: Yep - that's the same as the Dakota:

90 Litre Belt Drive Air Compressor - 14CFM, 3HP, 90L - With FREE Oil (sgs-engineering.com)

UKHS:

Wolf Air compressor Belt Driven 90L Dakota 14 CFM, 3HP | UKHS.tv Tools-To-Go

I paid around £230 for mine, I think. SGS have it at £271 and UKHS at £330, so another vote for SGS.

Furiokid likes this.
  11. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

SGS is in Derby so not too far for us to go if anything goes wrong. I bought a trolley jack from them and have had no problems.

12. vw1

vw1 Member

Again not an expert but for spraying you want as much storage as possible . You don't want to wait for tank to catch up before you can spray again.

Belt drive is best especially if you at home workshop as directed drive are so loud. Cfm as high as you can afford at least 18 cfm .

I am saving for this setup myself probably a Clarke . At the moment I have a 100ltr direct drive Clarke raider not sure on cfm but I can manage one car panel at a time spraying epoxy.

This setup is fine for me as I'm only spraying small areas after welding new panels in on my VW beetle restoration.

Good luck.

Furiokid and Wallace like this.
  13. Furiokid Member

Funnily enough I’m actually in the process of a VW Beetle restoration as well, and I did spray the shell a few years ago in cellulose, came out ok. Recently decided to redo a load of things and will be changing the colour and that’s why I thought about upgrading.
    I saw one review with someone using the 90 litre SGS belt drive and said they comfortably sprayed their Ford pop with a HVLP spray gun :dontknow:

14. Longlegpete Member

I've got a 90L belt drive from SGS and it's been fine, a slight air leak but not enough to do anything about it, I also have a twin piston direct drive as per the one the opening post was looking at, they are very nosey, belt drive is certainly the way to go.

Incidentally, the first belt drive i received from SGS was faulty, the large drive wheel was smashed in transit, there was no visible damage to the box, anyway they exchanged it within a few days which you can't complain about at all

Furiokid likes this.
Advertisements