Settings on a Supermig 150

1. Boyd New Member

After learning basic Mig welding at nightschool I have not touched my machine for several years and have forgotten all the settings . I now need to weld a Nut onto a 6mm Bolt that has sheared on the front of my engine ( and have a practice on a 1mm sheet of scrap steel
    I need the settings to do this and the nut ,and what type and thickness of wire should I use ? I am using BOC argoshield light
    at 5 litres a minute
    so what wire ??
    what feed rate ?
    what settings on the sealey
    Min or max ?
    1 or 2
    SealeyWelder.JPG

2. Boyd New Member

Wire Currently in the machine ;
    sealey Welderwire1.JPG

3. eddie49 Member

For the 1mm sheet : MIN and 1 ( the lowest setting ) Wire : the 0.6mm that you have is OK Feed : start about 3 or 4.
    For the 6mm bolt : you could try the highest setting, which would be MAX and 2 Wire: 0.8mm would be better.
    However, frankly, the machine won't handle 6mm, especially with the bolt being screwed into a solid cold engine block.
    You'd be better off trying that job with a stick welder ( Arc welder ).

4. Kayos

Kayos Member

I've used my supermig 150 to weld many bolts to nuts, just stick it all on max and turn the wire speed up a bit, it does it fine

5. chooch New Member

Aberdeen UK
    Well I have been trying to remove a couple sheared bolts on my car yesterday, using my Clarke welder and could not get any penetration into the bolts... It looks like I'm going to have to try my arc welder, but this could be tricky hitting the right spot, since they are small bolts...

6. KemppiFrog Member

Both the bolt and the nut are relatively thick bits for a quick touch, so with my old Kemppi 150, I would be near the top on power and a bit over half way on the speed. Can you try on some odd nuts & bolts to get a feel?
    KF

Advertisements