It is shameful that I have let this drag on for three years without properly fixing it, but I’m trying to change that now, starting with getting the main body back together.
I will upload pics in the morning. I’ve got the base, the stator and rotor with the end housing on each end all screwed together, and the switch and cord in place too. It powers up which is a relief!
Next job will be the guards either end. A bit more paint required here. I’m getting sick of boxes of machine parts cluttering the garage, it would be easier if these machines were back together and ideally working!
Funny to think now that what initiated my re-refurb was finding a pack of new old stock 2BA screws. They look great on the machine, really happy.
Underneath it would seem I have managed to lose one of the three screws to hold the steel plate in. No big deal tbh.
Finally an overview of current progress. The guards are drying as I type this. I’ve painted the insides of the end caps, but not the outers.
Dead annoyed at finding I only sandblasted one set of the aluminium clamps which hold the stones in place. There’s a set for each side. Missed my chance now as I can’t access that unit anymore... I’ll have to sand and brush it best I can
A pic running. Zero vibration - a washer balanced on the top.
I forgot that the left hand spindle was munted. Some creative vice holding had the spindle clamped in and then I went over the thread with a file, some autosol and the nut on a breaker bar over and over to wear down the high spots. Maybe not precision engineering but it worked...
Yep it’s a good one! This is cast aluminium but I used to have a little 6” wolf which was iron. Lovely machine but it could only take 1/2” wheels and wouldn’t fit a wire wheel, so I got rid of it. Fab quality and definitely worth bringing back to life
Yeah I got it into the workshop and honestly it was a total state. The BA screws that hold it together we’re testing the tensile strength of my screwdrivers. Dissimilar metals and corrosion really make for hard work, but I got it done and they let out a satisfying crack sound as they spun free.
Powering up gave an unpleasant whining sound which I assume is the bearings, I’ll have to get new ones. The base is quite corroded, fine white aluminium dust everywhere. With the discs off, I saw no vibration which is great. I’ll be ditching the old capacitor for something newer I think.