Section rollers

1. Thrashsmith

Thrashsmith Member

England, Kent
    I'm thinking of investing in some powered section rollers that would handle 50mm box, 40mm round, heavy flat bar etc.
    Has anyone bought or used one of these before?
    I'm a one man band producing domestic architectural ironwork & sculpture so don't need to roll RSJs, just thinking of a good investment that'll save my back & also save having to light the forge for jobs that could be done cold.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113779358947

2. nickk Forum Supporter

I’ve borrowed powered ones when the jobs been too big for my home made set,those ones have good capacity for the price,and a small footprint if you don’t have a big shed,however,you should be able to get at least that capacity and made in England if you don’t mind s/h and have space,and 3 phase/converter.

3. Thrashsmith

Thrashsmith Member

England, Kent
    A warranty for a new item is good for peace of mind. I don't own a lathe so if some part goes belly up on a second hand bit of kit, I can't just make a replacement.

4. metalmelt Member

We have them for commercial use and they are seriously heavy duty and the cheaper ones may be fine for a domestic user, but:

Watch the quality of the materials as many are poor, many are poorly made, and worst of all are the bearings as many are cheap and not up to the task and their housings often become damaged also, watch the wheels and ensure they have appropriate grooves for the material you are curving as any misalignment such as worn bearings will seriously distort your rounding and if it is critical you may find you are way out with distortion.

Advertisements