Secondhand car recommendations

1. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Hi folks,
    Not been on the forum for a while, but as I am having to purchase a new run around and am lost in the minefield of newish autos I thought I would ask your opinions on good motors, reliability, roomy (2 people, 2 dogs camping equipment), cheap, ha..
    Anyway I've looked at Dacia and Yeti user reviews and frankly they are scary, poor build, high failure rate, people spending thousands on repair.
    I'm still driving my 95,VWT4 camper, but I need a decent looking motor as well..
    So, any recommendations?
    Missus wants to get a loan for up to 10k but I'm thinking much lower as even stuff priced that high is failing according to reviews.
    Cheers, Bry.

2. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Cant praise the Ford Focus enough, easy to drive smoothly, comfy loads of room in my estate, cheap tax £30, easy to maintain and parts are easy to obtain and mostly to fit to. Good tow car to if diesel.

3. I bought a vw Passat estate. The Skoda estate has a rounded bulkhead behind the rear fold down seats whereas the Passat doesn't & my one is the 2013 1.6 tdi that is £30 a year rfl & good economy. I have even slept in the back before when I went fishing & since putting over 60k+ on it, all I have had to do is sort out a new boot locking mechanism (common on these & only about £13) & lower control arms + stretch bolts wich cost about £135 all in doing it myself. Considering it`s now approaching the 175k mark I think it is quite reasonable. We went camping in it this year too, so that is 2 adults & 2 kids + all the camping gear in the boot & roof box.

Forgot to add at time of purchase it cost me £5k, so well within your budget. Heard good things of the focus estate too from a guy at work.

Dan

Ashley Burton and Bryan Williams like this.
  4. Robbie260 Member

Id stick with the t4 mate and maybe spend the money on that i have a mrk4 golf just now its fairly reliable for its age and millage. I did have a mrk 6 golf for a while but it was an unreliable bag of bolts got so fed up with it it went after only a year. Had a 1990 nissan micra before that it was reiable but insurance killed it was way to expensive.

Im looking at getting a new isuzu dmax but that probably wont suit you as you already have a van and its out of you budget. its going to be a base spec model so a little less to go wrong.

I would get a petrol if you are going to buy form 2007 on as they are a bit more reliable these days and esspicially better for lots of short journeys as the new diesels with dpfs dont like them. Plus the new small petrol cars can get 50 plus mpg these days.

5. MoreWellie Member

I have just been round this merry go round and we wanted an auto that mostly will do short journeys so I decided petrol

We ended up with a secondhand 2.0 petrol Mazda 3 auto, not had it long enough to be confident on longevity but getting about 38 - 40 mpg and am happy with that

6. jenki Member

Toyota Yaris? mine lasted 17 years family owned for 14 years and still sold for £500. Certainly had our monies worth from it.

ronan likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Gragson and addjunkie like this.
  8. CompoSimmonite Member

Mate has a Yeti as a mobility car and likes it so much he's keeping it for another two years now the original three year contract has finished. He says he'll then probably buy if off Mobility. Only problem he's had is the tyre pressure monitor on one wheel giving false readings and had to be changed.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    We've just bought a 320d mainly on the basis its common to see very high mileage ones for sale.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  10. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Hyundia I 35 lots of car for your money

Ashley Burton and SteScouse like this.
  11. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Friend bought a Yettie for his wife liked driving it so much he bought one for himself, my beloved has a Roomster she likes.
    None of the 3 have given trouble either 60\80 K on Yetties, Roomster about 50K,, the build quality seems no better or worse than anything else.
    Have driven the 2 friend has, thinking of changing the 180K Fiat van for one.
    Personally 2 dogs camping kit wife ! stick to the T4

mtt.tr likes this.
  12. mr haynes Member

13. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Looks like a Kia C'eed.
    We have an old Berlingo and I liked the look of the Yeti as it looked similar. Next door but one has one and when I looked at the boot space I changed my mind, there is hardly any room compared to the Berlingo.

doubleboost likes this.
  14. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

More or less the same car

Ashley Burton likes this.
  15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

A friend of mine has the Kia Ceed 1.4 and it is a brilliant motor.

16. slim_boy_fat

17. Climber

Climber Member

We've got a Ford Cmax as a going to the tip and transporting wet muddy dogs car, and it's been pretty much faultless for years. They can be had for no money, and are a pretty handy size.

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  18. MoreWellie Member

Not sure all these recommendations are taking into account the request for an auto box

Ford Powershift: lots of failures reported
    Dsg box: lots of failures reported and fitted to quite a few makes

Diesel/petrol decision depends on likely annual mileage and journey type

visor_down and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  19. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I did a bunch of research a couple of years ago for a friend who was buying his first (second hand) car in over 25 years.
    We ended up concluding that the best value and most reliable were the less sexy Japanese motors.

So Mazda 6, Nissan Qashqaui etc.

He ended up with a Mazda estate and it's been great (so far!)

Parm likes this.
  20. slim_boy_fat

:doh: [but he didn't say "essential" :whistle: :D ] How about this then

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V7...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

And, as a bonus, it's just been MOTd, so good for a full year, although there's quite a list of 'minor' items, many you'd want to do anyway - see report here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V7...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 and it'd be cheap to do them if you can DIY a bit. :dontknow:

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements