Scaffold Towers

1. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    On my thread where we were discussing lighting in one of my sheds, we got to talking about scaffolding/scaffold towers. The roof's are high on my sheds and are really too high to reach the apex safely with a ladder. Scaffold prices seem to vary wildly.

What do people think of these ebay scaffold tower offerings? LINK (added as a link as the copy and paste was half a page long!) There is a huge difference in prices from a few hundred to a few thousand! eLuSiVeMiTe has recommended a seller near me at around £600 and he has a tower from them that he says is good.

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

if you can afford the 6x4 its a better scaffold more stable than the 4x4

also you can buy used poles that have been bought but sometimes its cheaper to buy a set of poles and scaffold locks

its the where to store them after use issue weather poles or in a frame

elusives 4x4 is a handy sort for taking to a job using and moving on to another job depends on your vehicle though

3. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Have one of those you linked, it’s rickety, and quite honestly bloody scary at 21ft (guttering).

eddie49 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  4. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    I thought someone might say that - thats handy info though! Thinking again, I think the Apex of my sheds is at about 8m/26ft so i would need the platform around 6m so that one in the link would not be high enough! (Unless i put a step ladder on the platform!!!)

5. jimbo84 Member

I steer clear of anyone with feedback less than 100% on ebay nowadays.

6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

at 6m you climb through and up the scaffold

not lay a ladder against them

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  7. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Half width.

IMG_20170617_150244.jpg
    Rails and supports are identical
    Full size is a pita to transport and need to use down side alleys etc.

With the 4 supports on its nice and stable at full height.

Il grab a full width to use in conjunction in the future

8. Rudi McAnichal Member

UK
    Cheap aluminium towers, often sold as suitable for DIY use, are OK if you are on level concrete and not going very high. I have one that I bought for a single job (work on the eaves of a bungalow, with the platform only 3m above ground), but if I wanted a tower to use on the outside of a tall building I would look for the Youngmans “Boss” range or similar (maybe three times the price of a DIY tower, but well worth it).

Suggest you don't permit any other person to use your tower unless it meets BS EN1004 standard.

Good quality towers and Land Rover Defenders have one thing in common, they are liable to disappear as soon as your back is turned.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Only tower i would buy.
    The above is a YB

10. brightspark

brightspark Member

I have a steel scaffold tower and not the cheapo thin steel one its5x5 foot and goes up to 28 foot. its as heavy as hell in 2 foot sections. real sturdy to work off, had it 30 years and it cost 300 quid then not damaged or marked I look after it

eddie49 likes this.
  11. eddie49 Member

The one in the eBay link looks very scary indeed. Way too much height per section for this thin welded steel tube. The necked-down tube joints are hard to assemble, and very hard to dismantle. There's no provision for outriggers, which would be needed for >6m even on the good welded aluminium towers.
    NEVER do that !

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

What do people think of these ebay scaffold tower offerings? LINK (added as a link as the copy and paste was half a page long!) There is a huge difference in prices from a few hundred to a few thousand! eLuSiVeMiTe has recommended a seller near me at around £600 and he has a tower from them that he says is good.[/QUOTE]its garbage no stiffener bars on the bottom rails to stop it bending and no corner brackets to keep it at 90 degree
    and just swaged ends on them light as a feather as the metals that thin

Advertisements