Running Air Directly From Compressor Tank.

1. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Are there any advantages to supplying air directly from end of the tank itself, rather than through the quick connect.
    What about safety, if run from end of tank will it stop pressurizing once it gets to the factory set default?
    Any advantage to keeping airlines and blast hose as short as possible? The pot will be supplied with around no more than 40 psi, sometimes 15-25 psi, on occassion about 3 psi.
    Cheers.

• MIG A.JPG
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

I have a water separator regulator at one end of my tank and a half inch ball valve at the other with claw coupling . I use that end for blasting using 15mm bore hoses at 120 psi . I just use about an 8 meter pipe kept strait ish so no loss of cfm . your comp will still cut out and in no matter where the outlets are .

3. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

AS I say, any difference where the tank outlet hose is mounted?
    Cheers.

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

not realy

5. Dcal Member

If you are running at that low a pressure, restrictive air lines and long runs will have a big effect.
    It might be an idea to have a small tank close to the cabinet that you can regulate to whatever pressure you want.
    You can then run high pressure from the compresser and use the tank to buffer your supply.
    Don't know what would work better - buffer tank at high pressure and regulate to low pressure or - regulate the inlet to the second tank to low pressure.
    I think you would be better reducing the pressure going into the second to a intermediate pressure then reduce the outlet to your required working pressure.

6. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK cheers. Should I try to keep the air hose as straight and as short as possible, is a 5m hose, if not straight would there be any appreciable loss of cfm from compressor?

7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Compressed air goes round corners with no problem and pressure drop isn't an issue either it's not like water. Where the hose coupling is mounted doesn't matter either as long as there are no serious restrictions but you need a self sealing connection not a pipe coming directly out of the tank just for convenience as much as anything.

8. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK thanks.

9. Luke

Luke Forum Supporter

I've found it's quite common for this sort of compressor to have a restriction in the built in isolation valve or regulator to restrict airflow, to stop the compressor running too often in normal use.

If this is the case, fitting your own regulator straight to the end of the tank will give a massive improvement, but it will also allow the compressor to run flat out if you let it, so keep an eye on how often it runs and/or how hot it gets.

Luke

Robotstar5 likes this.
  10. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK thanks.

Advertisements