Rotton chassis repair

1. F.J.

F.J. Member

Got a phone call off a local mechanic who had just failed the MOT test on a Mitsubishi Shogun due to the chassis looking like a colander. The owner has a boat and through years of backing into the sea, rivers and lakes etc.... it had taken its toll and i had yet another exciting day spent crouched under the wheel arch of some one elses pride and joy :welder:

At first i thought it was a case of patching a few holes from just behind the rear wheel arch up to just in front of the rear wheel arch on both the near side and off side but once i had cleaned the rust away the n/s chassis leg had one continous hole about two and half feet long :doh:

One thing i had on my side was the fact that this wasnt a p**s thin car chassis and the clean/good bits of the chassis were solid and i knew i had a good foundation to weld to.

After cutting a few templates from card and transfering them to steel i managed to repair the chassis with full runs instead of having to stitch it here and there. A few of the original holes were covered up but apparently it doesnt matter and it will still still pass, which it did!!!:D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

jpmillermatic and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  2. Springerdinger

Springerdinger memoirs of the mediocre diy mechanic

Well done on the mot pass, it looks as though that chassis is on its last legs
    Out of curiosity and if its not too cheeky how much would a job like that cost the punter. I often wonder how much my diy efforts save me

Great work

Cheers chris

3. rich r

rich r Member

North Yorkshire
    Shoguns and Pajeros always rot at that point on the chassis after about 15-20 years, especially if they drive in and out of the sea. :) Water and salt get inside the chassis members and slowly rots it from the inside out. My Pajero's chassis is solid there thankfully. It's the thin (though not structural) floorpan that's rusting where it's taken a few knocks from rocks and boulders :)

Good repair - like you say, those chassis members are pretty substantial steelwork, so you don't have to go too far back to find something solid.

4. F.J.

F.J. Member

Burdekin and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  5. jimbey New Member

Scotland

6. tugger New Member

manchester uk
    Shogun chassis

Hi FJ

Im new on hear so hope i get this right

I have a LWB Shogun that looks similar. Wasnt picked up on an MOT but i spied it the other day !

I live in Macclesfield. You show as MAnchester and was wondering where and if you were interested in quoting me ?

Cheers

7. F.J.

F.J. Member

Hi Tugger, I'll pm you later on. I'm just finishing a job off. Cheers

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. RV6A New Member

North
    Shogun Chassis Repair

Hi F.J.

Following on from your thread...

I'm new on here and have spent the last few days surfing the net looking for advice and help on repairing a Shogun chassis.

I have a 1998 SWB Shogun 2800 GLS. Its been in the family from new and has been a great car. It has just over 80,000 on the clock and passed its MoT in April but the MoT guy scared me to death with: "You'd better sell it before the next test as the chassis is on it's way out". He also mark on the pass sheet; "Chassis starting to rot".

I'd really like to keep the car as it's a useful item and would like to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

I'm only in Oldham and wonder if you could also give me a quote? and as you like 'cash deals' I could bring it to you if that's ok.

Please let me know either way if you or someone you know could help.

Thanks in anticipation. Ian

9. F.J.

F.J. Member

Hi Ian, if you could post some images up I could have a better idea of what I'm up against. I've had jobs before where the mechanic has all but written a vehicle off because of its rust patches only for them to be, I wouldn't say superficial, but a lot less worrying than first thought. If its the chassis then I can imagine that there will be good steel not too far from the damage.

As for doing the job I dont have a problem fitting it in, I'm sure we can sort something out

Look forward to the pics.

Dean

10. RV6A New Member

North
    Shogun Chassis Repair

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm away with work until the 16th. so when I get back I'll sort some photos out.

I've not seen the rust myself I was just told what the MOT tester and mechanic said. Do you have a contact number you can PM me?

Thanks again.

Ian

11. F.J.

F.J. Member

Pm sent.

Cheers

12. PARSLEYRIPPER New Member

Isle of Lewis
    Welding

My SWB Shogun is very similar to the one you did here, there is nobody here good enough to do this sort of thing (I am only learning) would you consider another one if I sent you some pics?

Cheers,

Neil.

13. stuvy

stuvy Member

send him a pm mate with your number as i know he is a busy boy

14. PARSLEYRIPPER New Member

Isle of Lewis
    Shogun

Ok will do thanks mate. Sorry to sound dumb and yes I do wear glasses but.....where is the pm button? cant seem to see it on the screen.

Thanks,

Neil.

15. PARSLEYRIPPER New Member

Isle of Lewis
    Pm

Ignore my last post I am being dumb:whistle:

16. xhead Member

Chassis repair - plate thickness

Hi FJ,

Thinking about using an SJ Suzuki chassis as a base on which to build an 'off-roady thing'. Does one have to use the same plate thickness as the original chassis or is there a recommended guage/thickness?

Thanks

17. F.J.

F.J. Member

Generally if you are patching up for MOT or cosmetics is suppose you could get away with thinner stuff but i would prefer to stick with the same gauge. However if you are building an off roader and need to brace up the chassis in any way then by all means use thicker stuff but nothing over the top

18. Justme

Justme Member

You should always use the same thickness.

Thinner & its to weak thicker & it wont crumple like its supposed to.

19. LETICIA pre-moderated

GOOD NIGHT

SORRY BUT I LOOK FOR SOLUTION AND I SEE THIS FORUM AND YOURS POST. SO I THINKED IF IS POSSIBLE Have A HELP WITH A BIG PROBLEM WITH MY CAR.
    I BUYED A SHOGUN WARIOR DID 2004 WHIT "ALL OK" in the papers BUT WHEN I NEEDED PASS FOR TECHINICAL CONTROL IN FRANCE ...I DISCOUVERY THAT CAR HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CHASSI SAME THE PHOTOS In YOUR POST "At first i thought it was a case of patching a few holes from just behind the rear wheel arch up to just in front of the rear wheel arch on both the near side and off side but once i had cleaned the rust away the n/s chassis leg had one continous hole about two and half feet lon"...
    SO i dont have autorization to used this car here if it continues this way. I buyed in the garage in UK and they to do a sale fraude. i need pay for 4 years yet . So if have one possible of repair and if no many expansive i will stay happy for n separed this "my old black" and can go at work with her.

tanks

leticia

Advertisements