Rotten VW T4

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Step went in with a few spot welds and a fair few plug welds on the chassis outrigger.

[​IMG]

Quite pleased to see everything lined up ok. NB the brand new VW oem step repair panel has slightly offset ridges!

[​IMG]

Then I went back to fill in-between the spot welds with a short run.

[​IMG]

Welded on the cut off inner arch piece. Ground off the welds.

[​IMG]

Then splash on some zinc phosphate (weld through) primer before tomorrows rain. This is the patch repaired inner arch piece.

[​IMG]

More primer

[​IMG]

Good and solid, nice and flat.

[​IMG]

Good penetration!

[​IMG]

Knackered now but pleased with progress.

Screwd.

2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

ime watching this metal magic with wide eyes for when my T4 needs love...great job your doing mate;)

3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I'm picking it up as I go to be honest. Watched a lot of videos and looked at a lot of similar threads. I am still on a very steep learning curve with MiG. After a few seconds I get the lovely frying bacon sizzle but almost immediately the weld will blow through. So my frustration at the moment is trying to find the perfect settings. I think I need to get some CO2 because I'm running out of precious Argon! Not only that but I realise CO2 gives a better weld with MiG etc. but I had a handy bottle I use on my TiG.

S.

4. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

pure co2 isn't as good as argon / co2 mix

5. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
    Cracking work for a starter !

6. I'm getting on a bit Member

Only do short runs and move on to a different area as the heat builds then you get the blow through

Looking good though

7. mikejack

mikejack Member

my old t4 was nicknamed the tea bag ! still got bits of it left in the workshop, some good work there ,

8. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

Cool work and I particularly enjoy the dry comments. :D

9. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Did your VW T4 come out of the same factory that they make Merc Vito's? Non-optional rust from day 1 by the look of it.

10. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It came out of a peat bog in Ireland from the look of it. And I'm not even kidding :(

I've been dragging my heels for a few days not just because of the weather but waiting for these to turn up.

[​IMG]

They are from centralpanels and the bit I really need is much better than the last lot I bought.

[​IMG]

Not sure I'd want to be using the other end though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glad I waited to see what they're like. The easy option was to cut off the entire wing and replace. Looks like I'll just be slicing out the rust instead.

Oh and I popped into Machine Mart for some ArgonCo2 mix in their large disposable bottles. Got a simple regulator for them but I'll set it up with a peashooter. What is the recommended flow rate for out door use?

Screwd.

11. the snooper

you can use the same flow rate if you shield the welding area from any breeze

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    same as what?

13. the snooper

there is only one other option :laughing: indoors :D

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well if you don't know just say so. Meanwhile after searching the site, I've come up with 10 lpm and we'll see if the welds come out any better.

S.

15. the snooper

you asked what the recommended flow was for outdoor use so I assumed you knew the rate for indoor yes 10lpm although indoor you can get away with less you just need to try a little less on some scrap if it still welds fine you save gas

16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It's not all sweetness and light. I keep running into little fiddly bits like this:

[​IMG]

I have to remind myself this is a workhorse van aiming for an mot, not a restoration per se. Sometimes I just get it plain wrong. Tried for ages to get this patch to fit but it was too complicated.

[​IMG]

So I chopped it in half and used it as a half patch!

[​IMG]

Plug welds look good but I have no way of telling until I try pulling it off and/or hammering it. Top half of the patch was a lot easier, probably the quickest ever from Cornflake box to being a van. CAD template was just a simple corner with a single bend.

[​IMG]

Marked up and chopped out on the old Gabro notcher.

[​IMG]

Plug welds are by far the easiest for me as a beginner so the patch gets some holes installed.

[​IMG]

Plug weld then seam weld where there's some decent metal on the van.

[​IMG]

Some of the welds even came out OK!

[​IMG]

There's a spacer between the inner/outer door sill and I made up some tangs to attach it. Plug welded.

[​IMG]

Then a few more plug welds along the bottom.

[​IMG]

Screwd.

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    The last of the rot or at least the major rot (on this side!). Chopped out.

[​IMG]

There it is. Looks like I got most of the rust.

[​IMG]

Made new but boxed rather than following the exact shape.

[​IMG]

Actually turned out pretty good!

[​IMG]

But...

[​IMG]

DOH!

Oh well. Tacked a new bit on...

[​IMG]

Looks ok. Didn't weld it on yet.

[​IMG]

Then, as I shut the door, I suddenly discover why it had the profile it did. The door fell off! I didn't realise the bottom runner actually rides along that previously rotten part. Goodness knows how it stayed in one piece.

I guess tomorrow I just need to try and form a similar profit for the door runner to follow.

S.

18. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

Are you not using weld through primer?

Good progress.

19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Sometimes I slap a bit of zinc primer on in between sessions but thats Zintec sheet I'm using so I don't prime it religiously. I will primer it before the panels are enclosed.

20. I have repaired quite a few T4s, and wonder what yours is like around the rear axle area? They have often been bodged here, and its worth having a very careful look before starting any amount of repair work.

Advertisements