Rod oven

1. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Yesterday evening my halogen heater gave it last breath.
    The cable caught on fire.
    The heating element still fine ,400W...
    This Morning taking it upstairs I've figured out that I can do something with it very easily
    I have a piece of 100x100x3mm square tube .
    I'm thinking to put the heating element inside and some insulation .
    And a thermal switch or a thermostat .
    I thinking about using drywall as insulation, glued inside using high temperature caulking.
    I need advice .
    It will be an almost no money involved project

2. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

Too powerful, will blow in no time as it will overheat, even with thermostat. Need much lower wattage bulb for this really and bigger container, you are looking more like a quiver with that size of tube rather than an oven. Try a lower wattage bulb perhaps?

3. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

It's like a grill resistance , and yes a small portable thing to dry 7018s

4. MCKDAVID Member

Don't know about building a halogen version, I presume this is the sort of thing you mean, if it is, this is the one I have. It's 300W but physically a fair bit bigger than you were planning. Maybe you're element might be a bit big for 100x100 by the time you add the element, insulation etc. The element that's in my one is just a bog standard water heater type, simple enough to find. Maybe better suited than trying to install the halogen? upload_2020-10-14_10-59-27.png

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I'm going to meet a friend who can help me to find an heating element suitable for the task

Advertisements