Ride on mower

1. typeRtony Member

England, Essex
  2. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    thank you chaps, l dident realise how many motor bike ones were on ebay, thousands :o from 4 or 5 hundred quid down to £2.50 each honest :laughing:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290597666634&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

dont think they will be up to the job ?? but the mini ones look intresting worth a bid l think, l think l have found some mgtf fronts lurking in the shed as well

if l can get the shocks sorted this week it will soon be time to drop the body back on and work out the bulkhead/pedal box and then l can get the chassis painted, big milestone

Andy

3. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    well the mgtf coilover shocks won in the end, mainly because l had them and it ment l dident have to part with any money :laughing: but they are about the right size and fairly robust looking, the top plate winds down so there is a bit of spring rate adjustment too,
    mounted the power steering box up but it's really close to the front bumper, so close l wont know if it will tuck inside or not till l mount the body, if it wants to protrude through the bumper it will go in the bin and l will go hydraulic steer instead, not messing up the air flow round my front splitter it's critical over 100 mph :o:laughing:
    made a panard rod for the front but its a bit short but the packaging constraints dont allow the luxury of a long one, it tugs the axle sideways 10mm or so over the 4" of axle travel l have, think that will be fine for a mower

• mower 8 001.jpg
  4. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    • vw track rod ends.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. TheJoker Member

Near Oxford, UK
  6. ryan Member

bristol
    Any more updates? im dying to see more of your work ;)

7. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    Hi

its coming along, lots of small things that dont really show up in a photo like l wasent happy with the front prop shaft angles a bit too sharp for my liking so l have cut the engine and box mountings off and moved the drive train over 60mm so as the engine sits in the middle of the chassis and the front prop is much straighter now, so now l am remaking the engine/box mountings, still better now than when its all painted

the other thing that has slowed me up a little is my intrest in offroad buggies :laughing: you can buy a buggy/kitcar called a Blitz, mini based with
    a mini engine in the back, a while back you could get them road regestered
    dont know if its possible now with sva/iva as they have exposed engines sharp edges all over the place and a fuel tank in the passenger compartment :o that ones tricky as the fuel tank can no longer be in the passenger compartment or the engine bay and on a buggy there isent anywhere else unless you stick it on the roof perhaps, so getting one through an sva might be tough and definatley expensive, rambling a bit here l know:laughing:, a while back l came across a road regestered Blitz for sale in need of a rebiuld for sure but it was correctly regestered as a blitz on the V5 biult in 1996 when the sva probabally dident even exsist and they issued an age related plate based on the doner vehicles year of manafacture :cool: but what made this even more attractive was it was biult using a metro subframe not the usual mini one in the rear, still an A series engine and box though so perhaps it was based on an early metro with the A series before the K series was fitted ? anyway the plus point for me was that an mgf rear and a metro front subframe are virtually the samething and its a bolt on bit anyway so when the frame comes back from the shot blasters it will get rebiult using an mgf 1800 cc vvc engine and box with an lsd out of a brm rover, once its finished and past an mot with no problems l might swap the engine out for a honda vtec
    so l should end up with a road legal buggy that wieghs not very much and 140 odd horsepower ( 200 bhp with the vtec ), so stripping that and sending it off to the shot blasters is what was slowing me down a little, fortunatley l have a big garage and can have both projects set up side by side

blitz buggy
    http://www.muddybuggies.com/total-kit-car-blitz-article.htm

[​IMG]

8. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I hate you:rolleyes:

Here come giv us a:hug::whistle:

9. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    lol, why you hate me is it because l have an offroad buggy or because l have a garage big enough for several projects :laughing:

10. Shox Dr

Both. :laughing:

11. TheJoker Member

Near Oxford, UK
    I'll join in, in the haters club too*! That buggy will be another one of the Baloo projects that I want to see! :D

*which really is the Baloo-envy club!

12. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    lol
    its only a bit of tube welded together you know, we can have a bit of a play with the buggy when its finished if you guys want, l can get us the use of a field and l have no problem with a dozen or so users off here turning up and giving it a good "testing" around the perimiter of the field, l think we best keep it of the highway, l can probabally organise 3 or 4 more buggies but we dont want it to competitive as there are ponds on the out side of some of the corners :o besides it would be nice to put faces to names wouldent it ??

13. popeye Member

notts uk
    thats hyper generous baloo, id love to play but im a bit away and i dont drive but keep up the good work your one of the more inspirational folkes on here along with chunkolini and others, im just in the process of getting the bits together for a small engine powered bike im thinking honda gx 50 with a mini moto cvt which should be fun anyway sorry for the hijack and once again great work
    popeye

14. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Sounds like fun!, can't be too far away, I'm in Kings Norton.

15. Baloo Member

Birmingham

l've been called many things but insirational is not one of them lol, thanks

16. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    very close indeed, if l stuck my head out of the window and shouted you would probabally hear me

Andy

17. TheJoker Member

Near Oxford, UK
    I've been saying I'll come up and have a butchers for a long time, hopefully I'll make it happen this time! :D

18. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    you are welcome any time joker, pop up when ever you want

l was intending to make my own cutting deck for the mower but l stumbled over these, l couldent buy the steel for one deck for what l payed for the 3 of these, the one with the 3 cutters is an inch wider than l was planning to make :cool: and l can trail the other 2 to cut up to 12 feet if l want to,
    7 hydraulic motors to feed now :laughing:

• cutting decks.jpg
  19. Shox Dr

You don't do owt by halves do you

20. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    sometimes, l keep picking 6 numbers for the lottery but have never got more than 3 right on any weekend :(

Advertisements