Review Review Tec arc 403 mig

1. Troy Member

Thought I would write a review for a Tec arc 3 phase 400 amp mig when we were looking for one reviews were thin on the ground.

We were looking for a cheap fab and light duty welding set.
    Delivery was around 3 weeks
    3phase
    400amp higher duty cycle
    Seperate wire feed with casters
    Digital meters
    5m intercon
    2 year warranty
    5 year transformer warranty
    £1234plus vat

it looks pretty good for the price, basic and simple,
    Wire feed unit seems decent enough has latch function, gas test and wire inch button on the front panel wire adjustment knob seems solid and no play ,
    side loading wire feed with 4 roller drive feed with 2 powered, the rollers themselves look abit rough on the machining front but nothing too major drive is smooth, the intercom protection sleeve is a bit Micky mouse type material.

Plant itself is sturdy enough
    Power button is a little rocker switch
    3 knobs for power adjustment
    Right has. 1,2low and 1,2 high
    Middle 1 to 4 course
    Left . 1 to 4 fine
    Twin choke
    Power cable isn't the longest
    With the side panel of its as expected fairly straightforward and basic looks neater and better laid out than I expected
    Word of warning of you pull the panel.of with it powered fan has no shroud only little gripe the contactor looks cheap and when energised doesn't sound the smoothest but easy and cheap enough should it cause a problem later down the line.

Chucked a plug on it added some gas and wire,
    The manual isn't the best
    After working the power settings out it welds really well tbh arc was nice and stable one point of not the arc did seem to be a little course and less refined compared to a higher quality machine.

Overall it's a cheap set that welds surprising well it does feel cheap in a few places euro socket intercon cover, contactor, on off switch,it's basic design means should you get a problem it can be fixed by Fred in a shed,on the whole great value for what it is

Troy

a111r, Wallace and Hood like this.
  2. MK1 RS Bruce Member

Any thoughts on this after a while of using it?

3. Troy Member

No change really its the same as it was when purchased
    Cracking bit of kit for the money not gave any issues, its goes through 1 to 2 15kg reels aweek,
    If we have any fab weld sets fail beyond economical repair in the future they will, be replaced with these without question

Hood likes this.
  4. MK1 RS Bruce Member

Thats quite an endorsement in itself, I am i the market for a Tec-Arc / Portamig / Oxford but struggling to get anyone to reply to my questions about them.

Does the wire feed adjust with the voltage and did you set come with "smoothing" capacitors?

5. Troy Member

Sorry for the late reply
    I suppose it is a good endorsement, the best way to describe it is a well build, budget friendly, reliable work horse.

No if doesn't its as basic as it gets
    3 power adjustment switches on the plant
    And wire feed adjustment on the feeder

And I carnt remember but this is a 3phase set, the arc is smooth and welds well not as smooth and refined as say, ewm Lincoln lorch etc

I've you give technical arc in York a ring im sure they could answer any questions you have

Tbh the local welding supplier we purchased it from didn't know much about them other than it was cheap and a transformer set,
    From there point of view there wouldn't be alot of profit Init Compared to some of the other all singing all dancing inverter sets they were trying to push me Towards.

Its horses for courses you wouldn't put this set with a welder flat out welding all day everyday as there is better and more productive machines for job but as a fab weld set that spends 70 percent of its time fab it's a good fit

6. MK1 RS Bruce Member

Spoke to Tec Arc last week and the said there is no need for smoothing capacitors on the 3 phase models.

Got a quote from the local distributer for a TS - 323 with separate wire feeder and waiting for a quote for the same from Portamig and then I will decide which way to go. Probably be solely on price to be honest as they are essentially the same machine but with a different coloured case. I just want something that is simple and reliable. I have no doubt that the invertor types have more features and are more configurable but that comes at the price of reliability long term. A farm isn't the sort of place you want delicate equipment.

What do you weld with yours heavy duty steel?

7. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Tecarc Portamig Oxford are all under the same roof

8. MK1 RS Bruce Member

yeah but the prices seem to vary slightly so if I can get the same machine for less then I will

9. Troy Member

Yes pretty much
    2mm to 25/30mm is the daily normal tbh only thing we swop about is the torch we use cheap copy mb36 Parker torches for fab and most welding upto 250amp as our fabs lads are rough and not the kindest to machines and tools if it rarely gets used to weld at plus 280/300amp for any sustained period it gets a different torch put on as they are considerably more expensive we they get wrecked before they are worn out

10. MK1 RS Bruce Member

Have you ever tried it on stuff thinner than 2mm? Most of the stuff I want it for is in the range you have mentioned but It would be handy if it can go down far enough to do car body work if needed too?

11. Troy Member

Not something we do tbh I would imagine it would do the job with corect wire size etc but u don't k ow what the lowest outputs are might be worth a look

Advertisements