Restoration of 1980s Electrolux Assistent

1. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

I posted about this in the Stuff you have made today thread, but someone thought it should be in it's own thread, so here are the two original posts

The project stalled because the paint I bought didn't work, the producer had problems with a batch of cans that were polluted with water, ruining the product. I wasn't able to get a replacement that worked from the dealer, so I got two 1k cans of paint instead, same color RAL 9010. So last night I was able to paint the upper casting. I started reassembling the circuit board and controls as well, they have been sitting in the sun covered in hydrogen peroxide solution to remove any yellowing, though one hardly sees a difference on the grey toned stuff. I did see a big difference on the white scraper which was severely yellowed though.

[​IMG]

Loosely reassembled to get an idea of what it'll look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still waiting for the new capacitor and drive belt, then it can be reassembled and is done.

2. Henrik Member

Oh wow, Dennis! My mum had one exactly like that in the 80s/90s! Might still be in the basement somewhere :)

My uncle worked for years and years in the Electrolux factory in town, and I think my mum did too. I'm pretty sure she got the Assistent from THE employee shop, where they used to be able to pick up cheap Electrolux white goods that had e.g a paint defect or similar.

Sadly the factory closed down a couple of years back, but in it's heyday it was a very large employer in the mid-size Swedish town I grew up in.

Great and unusual project!

3. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

Thanks! I got the capacitor last night, still waiting for the belt. I got delayed on that too because I didn't bother ordering it a few weeks ago, instead I thought I should favor local business, but when I got there they had nothing suitable. Sigh so I had to order online, from the UK actually and it only shipped on wednesday so no chance of getting it this week to Finland.

4. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

Got the belt and now it's back together. Now to bake some bread.

[​IMG]

Wightsparks, Henrik and Gragson like this.
  5. kevshouse New Member

Hi Dennis,
    Great restoration project.
    I have been interested in making a scratch-built replica of the Assistent mixer, would you kindly provide dimensions for arm, drum and scraper. I assume that if the arm was positioned in the centre of the bowl, the roller shaft would be in line with the bowl's centre. Also, is that huge spring holding the arm in some way?
    Regards,
    Kevin

Advertisements