Removing water - drop out

1. Wildefalcon Member

I've found a rountoit, and am fitting my compressors to the workshop.

I've an Ingersoll Rand type 30 compressor and a small Clarke twin piston compressor, both 3 HP, that will be fitted to a ring main.

I want to spray with this set up, air feed mask, and do some blasting, so would like to remove all water from the system.

I was going to go with a copper pipe set up, with an auto drain, as suggested in the guide here, but then I found out about drop out filters.

Are they a good alternative to the copper pipe array idea? Cost and time wise there's very little in it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DROP-OUT...rain-UP-TO-32CFM-FILTER-DRYER-M-/274461550102

Something like this?

2. premmington

premmington Member

Yeah Dropout filters work - I got one!

DSC04554.jpg

Morrisman likes this.
  3. Wildefalcon Member

That's what inspired me. How do they work? Plumb them inline?

4. premmington

premmington Member

Yes... Plumb it in before you regulate the air pressure down - I run our ring main at 100Psi - then at every outlet I reduce to 90Psi.

These membrane filters need high (ish) pressure to get the water thru them - the tiny micron holes - they work sort of like GoreTex.

I used to use a refrig' air dryer and now use these Dropout filters and never have any problem with them - but I don't spray paint!

Only thing I could not find out when I speced them up is: Service life - how may hours at a defined CFM they last for?

James1979 likes this.
  5. Wildefalcon Member

Cool. Thanks.

6. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
  7. premmington

premmington Member

How do they filter to 1 micron if they don't have a filter screen?

8. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Simple physics . . . Although I think the spec claims "down to . .."

But you're asking the wrong person - ask them. I only use the product with no complaints.

9. Submariner1 Member

How much was the cheapest ... the ones I saw seemed pretty pricey?

10. Wildefalcon Member

I contacted the seller of the eBay listing, they've not responded, so that's out. I think I'll go back to the copper organ pipes plan, not much in the cost and time, but it's simpler.

11. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    I can't remember what I paid - several years ago - paid , it arrived, I fitted it . . . and only remember it when it is mentioned - it sits there and works - so I reckon it was worth it.

A quick google reveals sellers of the plastic 300l/m version from £120 to £130 ish.

Advertisements