Reduce/eliminate spatter at the end of the welds

1. auswelder Member

I do a lot of stich welding at times and there always seems to be a bit of spatter at the end of the weld/crater that's hard to clean up.

Is there a way to reduce/eliminate this?

Welders have a crater fill function, but I have this turned off, will this help and if so any pointers of setting it up?

Thanks

2. matt1978

matt1978 www.lorch.eu

If you’ve turned off your crater fill/slope then surely the welding value just prior to stopping is exactly the same as the welding value your using to weld as normal? So to say are you sure spatter is only a problem at the end and not on the whole weld?

In any case a crater fill will give you chance to set a lower value to end the weld cycle with, typically it’s set as a percentage from the main welding value.

I don’t know which machine you have and which type or Mig process you may be using but crater fill is more about removing the cold centreline crack that can appear at the end of the weld due to rapid cooling of the weld pool. On some machines you also have the ability to also adjust the voltage settings (arc length) for your hot start, main welding value and crater fill independently of each other. This is a really sure fire way to minimise/eliminate spatter throughout the whole weld length

3. auswelder Member

It is more of an issue with vertical up's. Yes the welding value is the same throughout the weld.

I'm using pulsed mig. There is a setting for hot start but that is turned off.

Is there a recommend value for hot start and crater fill settings?

4. matt1978

matt1978 www.lorch.eu

There isn’t a one size fits all settings but typically 125% for the hot start and 50% for the crater fill are good starting points. It would be a big help if you could adjust the arc length for the hot start and crater fill independently of the main welding arc length too.

tom2207 likes this.
Advertisements