Recumbent project

1. twowheels Member

Finished the frame off by welding the bottom tube to take the tension off the frame as suggested by "Malcolm one of the forum members:D.

I bought a small tin of metal paint from screwfix last week and blathered the frame just to keep the rust off over winter. It went on like treackle!

Took it out for a spin on sat night and it handles really well, feels solid and the steering works really well without any play. I will be replacing the wood seat with one made from a cut out from a fibre glass bath [well I will see how it goes].

Regards
    Leon

• rec-side-1.jpg
    • steering-3.jpg
  2. ben8vgte

ben8vgte Member

I like cycling, but these have always worried me, to low down to be seen and how do you do a bunny hop on one? all said looking good.

3. twowheels Member

Hi there
    I have always had diamond frame bikes. My friend introduced me to the "bents" as they call them and after that I wanted one. The one I have build is from an american design long wheel base. They are a little heavier than a standard diamond frame but on the flat they can motor. The one I built was from scrap as the top tube was from an old bed head. The next one I build will be lighter and with a little more precision.

4. the seat looks too high to the crank, looks like it will take a lot of effort to pedal it

5. twowheels Member

Hi there
    No, the seat to pedal / angle is adequate for the type of bike. I can push really hard on the pedals and get a good turn of speed on the flat, plus I can climb the slopes where I live with a bit of effort. With a recumbent you just press your back into the seat more as opposed to jumping out of the saddle on a diamond. I will be fixing a bike computer on this weekend and give it a speed test on the Greenway.

6. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Nice one, I have been riding recumbents for years, and am planning on building the tandem version as my spring project. That looks nicely balanced and comfy, I approve of the level of high technology involved, and the low budget eg on the seat.

Keep us posted as to how it works.

Two wheels, your next mission; if you choose to accept it is to build the opposite of this device, a Tallbike, cant currently work out how to post images, but I can reccomend it.

Chunko'.

7. ive always had an odd desire to make a pushbike boat

8. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Chunko-

Posting pics....

1) You need to have them on your computer
    2) Use the 'Go advanced' button when replying,
    3) Scroll down to just below the text box, youll see a button 'Add Photographs', click it.
    4) A window will open, select 'Browse' then its standard windows after that, select the pic you want to add, then click the 'Upload' button
    5) Close the popup window, then finish your post as normal.

9. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

10. chunkolini

dwarfmkiii.jpg
    Cheers Hitch and Malcolm
    Like this?
    Yes like that, The Poison Dwarf, one of my finer creations. Mega stresses with my cow of a manager I made a bike named after her, note the craftsmanship and passion that went into building the barely rideable thing. This is the third reworking but I can just about ride it through town. An evil thing just like her.

Not recumbent, in fact uncategorizable; a true Freakbike. Yet the Victorians got there first.

godzuki.jpg

Oh no here's another Godzuki Son Of Godzilla, veteran of two of road races and several 1000 miles on tarmac. Build a tallbike and become the official Town Idiot. Note if you start making chops and tallbikes brace the forks.

Chunko'.

11. ben8vgte

ben8vgte Member

:o that poor kona

12. chunkolini

Oh the Kona, which one? Tallbike, I had a contact who had access to the Kona Uk warranty fails, some dummy had snapped the back end of it jumping it. I left the name on it to hear the Tut Tutters.

There is another Kona here
    Swing bike first ride, wow..JPG
    This one was another Cindercone, my (ex)mate Bob The Thieving Git 'borrowed' my Cannondale and never came back with it, in a fit of rage I hacked up his Kona. And made a swing bike out of it, basically you graft another steering tube and head set onto the front of the seat tube making it double jointed, ride sideways, turning circle of about 2ft

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Not all artists are Nice folk.

Chunko'.

13. twowheels Member

Wow thanks for the feedback

The poison dwarf has given me an idea for a fun bike its amazing when you have an inventive mind. Even though i own a car and i enjoy driving, they are useful tools for getting from A to B. I love commuting to work on the bike and I have always wanted to build my own. The compulsive problem now is that I am drawing up plans to make a garden gate plus a wood burning stove for the garage.

14. chunkolini

Two wheels, Just stop this nonsense now.
    The poison dwarf is not a vehicle; well it is kind of, but it is also in the pay of Charles Darwin, it could also function as a kind of DNA tax; if you are foolish enough to try this as a transport system it might help the gene pool by removing you from it *. If you get my drift. Now a wood burning garden gate bike makes sense. My Pal Tall martin came up with this bike.
    Tallmartin bed bike.jpg
    So anything is possible. If pedals can be attached to it the Edwardians or Victorians did it first. Tall bikes were invented for lamplighters in Chicago, how much quicker on a bike 10feet tall? imagine something so bonkers having a logical origin.
    Chunko.

A full deposition on freakbiking will appear soon.

*Re gene pool; two ways of removing you from it; 1, by killing you, 1; by scaring members of the opposite sex away from you terminally.

15. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
    chunko, I can honestly say ..... you're off your head !

lmao !

more pics please

16. chunkolini

Coo
    Ok Potato Guns at 50 paces it is.

Chunko'.

17. dutchman

dutchman t(r)igger happy

Holland
  18. twowheels Member

Update on the recumbent

Made my new seat out of a returned fibreglass bath from work. I was going to buy some resin and fibreglass and make my own. A bout of inspiration saved me a little money.
    All I have to do now is make the padding for the seat.

• seat2.jpg
    • seat1.jpg
    • rear11.jpg
  19. chunkolini

Flabulous
    The seat looks just the right shape, re padding try using camping mats (3 layers?) layered up with slots cut in them for cooling and air flow. Yet again quality engineering.

Keep the thread going.

Chunko'.

20. twowheels Member

Cheers Chunko

Funny you should mention the camping mats. I used one doubled up for the back-rest on the plyboard seat and used my daughters old swimming float to sit on, which is quite firm but not too soft. I am scouting about for some memory foam at present. We bought a memory foam matress for the daughters bed and fancy cutting a small square out to try.......:whistle:

I have just got hold of some light box tube for my next project which I am going to start sometime in the new year. Just need a few old bike frames to chop!

Regards

Leon

Advertisements