Rebuild plastic stripped thread?

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Stripped & rebuilt a carb on a poorly running cb250, it has a choke valve/plunger that is secured by this plastic nut that screws into the aluminum carb body, its strpped and will not nip up. The part appears to be NLA from Honda and the thieves known as CMSNL want over £60 delivered as it comes with a spring and the wee 50p valve. Tried a bit of PTFE but its still not nipping up enough to my liking.

I was thinking of smearing a tiny bit of JB weld on the thread and turning back in then out to let it dry hoping it would make a better thread (not a great bodge..), there is only about 3mm of thread to start with.

Any better ideas folks?

IMG_0262.jpg

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Is there a release agent for jb weld.
    Squirt of wd40 in the hole. Smear the fitting in jb and screw in for eg. No idea if wd works.

Would a different product be better for the plastic

3. Ruffian Member

Get it machined in alloy??

4. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

The boy could do that, but I would like it sorted before I expire :whistle:

5. Ruffian Member

I recon someone could machine those easy enough if you know someone capable with a lathe on some alloy hex bar.
    Probably not as bad a time scale as you recon.

I know a decent Exeter baised boy who could do it easy enough.

Gragson likes this.
  6. Ali

Ali Member

Find something with the same thread, use it to sleeve over the old one, a bit of lathe work for someone? Just glue in place? Quicker than making from scratch anyway.

Gragson and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

It looks m10 ish, possibly cut an m8 onto the existing knobed thread and twiddle/glue a helicoil onto it. I think m8 is an m10 on the outside, may be worth looking into as they are pennies.

Bob.

Gragson likes this.
  8. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Put a bit of jb weld or similar on the damaged part of the thread, then dress with a thread file.

Gragson likes this.
  9. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    If it is a thread you've got a tap and die for, cut it off flush, drill and tap it and make a replacement piece out of ally that will screw into both pieces

Gragson likes this.
  10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Drill down through a short bolt and JB a connection into it.

Gragson likes this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Test with a bit of acetone on a cotton bud....if it dissolves then you might be able to soak the thread and screw it into a nut and let it dry.

....but not all plastics dissolve in acetone so might not work!

Gragson likes this.
  12. Pete.

Pete. Member

What thread is it? I'd be tempted to turn it down and use a helicoil on it, externally. Or you could probably make one from delrin.

Gragson likes this.
  13. R-D-R Member

Is it a weird thread? Looking at the ruler it’s M10 ish, grab an m10 bolt and cut it down?

Gragson likes this.
  14. zx9

zx9 Member

Be careful if you do this, Japanese bikes have a lot of metric fine threads.
    I am not saying it is, just something to watch out for.

500e, Gragson, Rannsachair and 2 others like this.
  15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Most Jap cars I work on are a variety of metric threads...the thread pitch does vary depending on the size too so you do need to be a little careful to identify the thread.

Having said that they stick to standard stuff when it comes to hydraulics it seems....which makes it even easier to get caught out of course!

Gragson likes this.
  16. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Is it a mikuni i might somewhere have one

Gragson likes this.
  17. wyn

wyn Member

Will the plastic "nut" also have an integral detent arrangement to hold the choke in the up position?

Gragson likes this.
  18. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Sorry poor reference pic, it is bigger than M10 was M12? or M11 even???
    The pitch is a bit hard as its pretty "cattle trucked", on a gauge closest looks like 1.0, getting that wrong in plastic and the carb thread will win, if I get it wrong with ally or steel....
    Its a Keihin carb and the top of the nut hole reduces to hold the cable ferrule end.

Really appreciate all these replies, gives me some much better ideas :thumbup:

IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0264.jpg

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I had a similar thread issue with the turbo oil feed on the Nissan Figaro.....it turned out to be something totally odd and took me weeks to find a matching fitting.

I think if you take a picture of the thread while holding a ruler along the centre axis (if that makes sense)....then if you zoom in you should be able to work it out....need a descent metal ruler though as the difference between 1.0/1.5 ain't huge.

In my case I had a good length of threads so I could measure across half a dozen....you'll have to be quite precise I think.

Gragson likes this.
  20. cheb Forum Supporter

Hold a bolt of known thread size against it and hold up to the light The diameter of the bolt doesn't matter, if it's the correct size you'll know.

Standard metric are M6 x 1mm, M8 x 1,25mm, M10 x 1.5mm and M12 x 1.75mm.

Gragson likes this.
Advertisements