Re-visiting and old project

1. jordhandson Member

Now I finish the Grinder I decided to re-visit an old project that I started last summer, Its an old little grey Ferguson tractor.

new arrival.JPG

Last time it ran was 35 years ago and was all seized and in a bit of a state when father picked it up for me, it really should have been scrapped but hey ho I like a bit of a challenge. It has a petrol continental engine and it was built in 1947. Once I had the engine running then get the sized gearbox off the engine, that took a while,
    AQR_0490.JPG
    I managed to get the seized hydraulics working. I decided to strip it completely and give it a good shot blasting to see what was salvageable,
    DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0072.JPG
    the parts that were salvageable had a coat of Epoxy primer and that's how its been sat since last autumn.
    DSC_0116.JPG DSC_0109.JPG DSC_0102.JPG

Jobs done so far;

Engine running

Hydraulics working

Starter rebuild

Starter Solenoid rebuild

Dynamo rebuilt

Distributor rebuild

New half shaft seals fitted

Flywheel skimmed

Time fly s and I had to dig out a load of old photo’s to remember how things went. I had some free time this afternoon so I got it uncovered and into the shop, dug out some boxes and I got one of the half shaft back in along with 1 brake back plate and foot pedal linkage. The gearbox input shaft, thrust bearing and the two shafts that go through the bell housing to the pedals.

JAN_1853.JPG

I will post more pics as I go along if anyone interested in old fergie’s.

2. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Nice project. Be good to see the build. I like stuff like that.

stuvy and jordhandson like this.
  3. dan treg Member

thats commitment i think a lot of people wouldnt even attempt stuff like this well done with progress thus far

stuvy and jordhandson like this.
  4. jordhandson Member

Cheers spence Fingers crossed it dont get pushed back again, this year I am trying to stay on one side project until finished.:doh: I have to many on the back burner. And I have told father not to buy for a while:laughing:

5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Does a Bear sit in the woods ? as the saying goes :thumbup:

Bob

6. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    I know what you mean. A few projects on the go. Farther will buy because thsts what they do. My old man being 74 is still at it. Always buying all sorts

jordhandson likes this.
  7. jordhandson Member

Just found a couple of videos so I have made a channel on the tube. ShedOpps

there is one of the first start up after 35 years and one of my hydraulic test, you'll have to forgive my father he's a bit slow and oldish.

8. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Grew up with a grey fergie with a Perkins p3 in it, real old machine!

9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Thing I remember about them was when I was going to work in the car once and the road down is a 30 limit. I was keeping to the limit and a chap in front of me on a little grey Fergie was leaving me behind :D

jordhandson likes this.
  10. Domdom Member

Always wanted a Grey Fergie, not that I have any use for one, or storage for that matter. But having grown up on a farm and learned to drive on a David Brown 1200 the Fergie was something I've always liked. Well done for saving it.

jordhandson and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Tim W Member

Swindon, UK
    Hi Jord... small world.... don't forget to update us on the other site :laughing::laughing::laughing::thumbup::thumbup:

jordhandson likes this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

A pointless exercise as @spencer 427 says. I like how your Dad buys stuff and it's up to you thereafter.:D

jordhandson and Ali like this.
  13. jordhandson Member

Hi Tim its been a while since Ive done anything on the fergie, now I have got to find me signing in pass thing, I keep them on bits of paper nightmare:doh:, will try and find it

14. jordhandson Member

It has been known some people put V8's in them

15. jordhandson Member

Nice one,:thumbup: this one is a 1947

16. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Think ours was a ‘49

jordhandson likes this.
  17. jordhandson Member

Got the brakes all sorted and the link rods and pedals back on, I was going to spray all the parts grey before I reassembled , but I am so glad I didn't, there would have been a bit of touching up to do. That epoxy resin primer I used is as hard as nails and can thoroughly recommend Jotun epoxy primmer. Here are some before and after pics
    AQR_0490.JPG JAN_1887.JPG

AQR_0629.JPG JAN_1879.JPG

AQR_0608.JPG JAN_1863.JPG

AQR_0508.JPG JAN_1884.JPG

18. jordhandson Member

Not much done today I got cold outside this morning:) so I had a qiet afternoon in by the fire and started to clean up the engine before painting. I may be going to pull the head off and get it in the blast cabinet as there are to many nooks and crannies where I cannot get the wire wheels in. Bit of a shame as it still got the original copper head gasket on.

JAN_1914.JPG

19. jordhandson Member

I am glad I pulled the head off today there was a lot of carbon deposits in there and I had 1 stuck valve.
    JAN_1918.JPG
    The amount of crud that came out of the waterways was amazing, still got to blow out the engine block waterways yet, I will probably do that tomorrow as it make such a mess, I will add a vid on my shedOpps on youtube later to show how bad it is.
    JAN_1927.JPG

Getting back to the head, I removed all the valves
    JAN_1929.JPG
    and I ran the head through the cabinet to clean any carbon deposits, it has come up quite good
    JAN_1936.JPG JAN_1937.JPG

I also gave the manifold a bit of a blast off
    JAN_1938.JPG JAN_1943.JPG

This afternoon I reassembled the valves back in the head I gave them a bit of a lap to make sure there seat are good
    JAN_1941.JPG JAN_1942.JPG

these two parts are now ready for paint.

20. jordhandson Member

Having a Lazy day today I just cleaned the top of the block and the pistons and got some primer on the block. Now I can sit back and wait for some parts to arrive,:D

JAN_1951.JPG

Olderisbetter likes this.
Advertisements