Raptor Truck Bed Liner: Roller melted :(

1. rockweasel Member

I had a 1L bottle of black Raptor Truck Bed Liner to try out on my camper. The plan was to paint the underside of the base (plywood) and one of the mudguards (checker plate aluminium) with one coat and see how it looked when it went on. I wanted the "orange peel effect", so I also bought a structured roller from Raptor. See Photo. I primed the aluminium yesterday and was all set to try the paint today.

Paint went on OK with a little left over to try out a second coat on a patch. I stored the roller and tray in a bin liner and squeezed most of the air out of it. When I opened it to apply a second coat, the paint was still wet but the roller was "soggy" - like a pair of old underwear with a broken elastic waistband. I managed to apply a small patch of paint before the roller tore and fell off the handle. Surely this can't be right???? Have I stored it incorrectly between coats, or is it not meant for prolonged use? It's sold by Raptor for applying their products, so it must be me?

I've drafted an email to Raptor, but I thought I'd pick your brains first.

Cheers!

thumb_16694_350x400_0_0_auto.jpg

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

rockweasel likes this.
  3. stuvy Member

White spirit gets wet raptor off but when painting 4x4’s with it I usually paint what I need and I paint it with a speckled finish no need for a roller

If you want it smith it’s near impossible but turn the pressure up

• 779BD8BC-ECA7-4965-8464-C4A1FB601ABE.jpeg
  4. stuvy Member

That’s the arches, tubular bumper and the checker plate over the indicators

rockweasel likes this.
  5. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    rollers are mostly single use , even painting household gloss they soften after a short while

zx9, stuvy and Hopefuldave like this.
  6. rockweasel Member

Yes, but these were £10 for a pack of 2!! I'd expect a lot more miles out of them.

7. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    you'l know next time

stuvy likes this.
  8. rockweasel Member

:thumbup:

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Fire off your email, they can only say "No" - or they might explain where you went wrong but send you a replacement pack for the sake of good Customer Relations. :dontknow: ;)

rockweasel and MattF like this.
  10. fizzy Member

uk
    Those are just cheap and nasty use once rollers. I buy them for about £2 a pack.
    I get the same problem with some paints. I tend to buy the white closed cell ones these days.

stuvy and rockweasel like this.
  11. rockweasel Member

I fired off an email to their customer support along with a photo of the roller. I'll learn something from it one or another. I've only ruined the one roller.

On the bright side the base of the camper looks spiffing :)

slim_boy_fat and zx9 like this.
  12. rockweasel Member

I got a reply back from U-Pol:

Thank you for your enquiry.

This has happened due to the strong solvents contained within the Raptor formulation attacking the roller head during your flash off period.

One roller head will enable you to continuously apply 1 bottle of Raptor from the start of your application.

For a second coat after recommended flash off time a new roller head should be used to apply the second bottle .

I have forwarded your query to our relevant team and recommended we update our instructions to state this clearly .

Many Thanks for bringing this to our attentio
    n.

Advertisements