Railings on my open plan garden help

1. Martin870 Member

Evening all
    owning a gates and railings company I’m wondering if anyone has been in my situation. I would like to put a railing on the front of my garden. Our deeds say no brick walls, no hedges above 3ft and no permenant structures. Apart from being the only house on the new estate and standing out would there be any issues with making a railing between 2-3ft high and bolting into like a concrete footing, this way in my eyes they ain’t a permanent fixture, we won’t be having driveway gates because there won’t be room to open them just fancy posts to end the railings.

Has anyone been in this situation and had any issues or has anyone got any ideas, I don’t fancy spending on them and being told to remove them.

2. winchman

winchman Member

Who would be enforcing it?

owas and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, What about wooden posts with railing screens in between? wooden structures are not usually considered permanent structures.

Colin

stuvy likes this.
  4. Martin870 Member

Good question, I’m presuming the deeds are put in place by the council and it would be down to nosey Neighbours being jealous who would report it
    Or bin men they are the only people that work for the council who come round here, our greenery is kept by a private contracting company

5. Martin870 Member

Might look abit Jabberwocky suppose if it’s plained and painted black it would look like steel from a distance, maybe something to fall back on

stuvy likes this.
  6. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

If that's how its worded then " no permanent structures " cant possibly apply to bolt together railings. Can they :dontknow: ?

Bob

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  7. stuvy

stuvy Member

We’re on a new estate and there are some houses with rails but 99% don’t

One of the neighbours has had railings fitted but they don’t match

If I remember in the morning il take a picture

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

bolt it down and its not a permanent structure it can be taken apart. if anyone whinges just tell them that and say no more . the least you say the better but be abrupt

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I'm on an open plan estate too, a lot of people have ignored the no fence rule, but are having issues when selling, if the surveyor or solicitor pick up on it some have been forced to take down walls and gates.

Kent and stuvy like this.
  10. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

The landlord if the properties are leasehold. I suppose if a neighbour didn't like them they could get a court injunction and sue you for the costs.

I'd make them un-boltable and when you sell remove them and leave them behind with the property.

stuvy and brightspark like this.
  11. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

depends on who dont like it

on a new build more people there to lightly to moan

on a house 20 years old most people will say it looks nice

if you want put a planing in to the council they will pass it you will have papers to say its ok

stuvy likes this.
  12. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Where I live there are around 50 bungalows, Started out as open plan, but now a few years later there are lots of walls, railings and hedges, I believe it would be the builder or neighbours that would do the complaining.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  13. brightspark

brightspark Member

sure you don't mean boltable :)

Windy Miller and stuvy like this.
  14. Martin870 Member

I’ve been reading something about that online I wouldn’t mind taking it down as il be bolting it and il just grease the bolts so they don’t rust.

15. Martin870 Member

Our property is free hold, we didn’t fall for that trick but cost us an extra 6500 to purchase the free hold

16. Martin870 Member

Just re read our deed...
    it kind of contradicts its self it says (word for word)

Not without the previous written consent of the transferor such consent not to be unreasonably withheld):

To erect any fence screen wall hedge or other boundary structures on the front or side boundaries of the property

Then further down the page it says

Not to erect or display any advertisement sign placard or hoarding of any kind on the property (including any boundary wall or fence) and not to erect any “for sale” or “to let” board on the property until the transferor has completed the construction of development on the estate and completed the sale of all the dwellings on the estate and has vacated the estate.

What I will say is,
    1. a house has had a “to let” board up while the transferor was still here
    2. commercials vehicles shouldn’t be on the estate which they are

The transferor (presuming it’s the build) has now left the estate and all houses are sold as of last month

stuvy likes this.
  17. Martin870 Member

That would be helpful thanks

stuvy likes this.
  18. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

around here there is the same rules but half of the people have put upwalls or fences

mine was built in the 1960s

stuvy likes this.
  19. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Sounds to me that it trys to prevent work being undertaken until construction is complete. Build the fence as high as the mental hospital and tell em to get F#@k@d ---its your house !!!

Martin870 and stuvy like this.
  20. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

to befair the rules are there as an after thought ive never seen any one convicted of putting up a fence

its depends on who you upset when doing it

Advertisements