Race Simulator Cockpit

1. Bear

Bear Member

No its still for the xbox.

Im determined to get it painted and finished soon so i stop adding more things to the design and never end up getting it finished hahaha

2. carbon

carbon Member

I know I've said this before but if your going to paint it think about adding some extra support at the top for the wheel mounting, even if it's adding a bracket that you can bolt a support to later if required.

3. Bear

Bear Member

It seems very strong and sterdy the way it is to be fair ive done a bit of pushing and pulling on that but to make sure it will take the abuse thats its going to get and doesnt seem to move ;)

But thanks for the advice

4. Bear

Bear Member

However may look at putting a couple of support bars in from near the top out and down to the bottom frame if i can see any movement next time i get round to looking at it

5. carbon

carbon Member

The only reason I suggested it is the my wheel was bolted to a 2mm thick plate with the edges folded down approx 20mm and I thought it was solid. When I started using it, it was surprising how much it flexed and how much reinforcement was needed to stop if flexing.

6. Bear

Bear Member

Ok so after listening to @carbon advice I decided to reinforce the wheel stand part of this rig. So after some thought decided the simplist and best way to do it was as below

20160224_165840.jpg

20160224_165847.jpg

Has all been welded up now. I must say thanks to carbon for the advice. It is so much sturdier now and is a great improvement to the usability :clapping:

andy_v likes this.
  7. carbon

carbon Member

Glad I could help, it looks a lot better now. It may make it a bit more difficult to get seated at but for me a wheel that stays put and doesn't flex about makes for a better experience. I know mine wasn't moving much with my first mounting design but it really felt weird to drive for any length of time.

I only have a few pictures of mine but only during construction, nothing recent as its still not finished. I have a few more mounting brackets to make, but its in use so not sure when it will get completely finished ;)

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

andy_v likes this.
  8. Bear

Bear Member

Looks good. What are the gas struts for?

9. carbon

carbon Member

Because I don't have race seat to sit in, only an arm chair, access is a bit limited if not nearly impossible so the wheel and top half hinge up and forward to get in. The gas struts support the wheel and frame in the raised position and when down they push down a little as the rear pivots are higher than the front ones. This downward pressure stops the wheel moving vertically when racing

down.jpg

andy_v likes this.
  10. Bear

Bear Member

Nice!

11. Bear

Bear Member

Well i finally got round to getting this finished off and hopefully put it through its paces this weekend

20160305_130058.jpg

20160305_140711.jpg

Then on with some paint. I went with satin black

20160502_172215.jpg

20160502_172225.jpg

20160502_172208.jpg

Now in its new home with all the ally plate riveted in place

20160512_211205.jpg

20160512_211156.jpg

Just the tv to mount tonight/tomorrow then the fun begins.

Not bad considering it started from some old swings :D

• 20160512_211205.jpg
  12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    a man with a vision...it looks fantastic finished..that ally plate really looks nice!

JP

13. Bear

Bear Member

Thanks JP

14. Bear

Bear Member

Made all the images into a video and uploaded it its easier to see how it started and finshed :thumbup:

15. carbon

carbon Member

Can't believe I've taken so long to get this finished only taken about 5 years. An upgrade of wheel and pedals helped but how have it welded and painted, with a few more braces to stop flex

IMG_4140.JPG

siegfried9999, Bear and andy_v like this.
  16. Bear

Bear Member

I like that mate looks really good. Thinking about selling mine and remaking it with changes hahah

17. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Tidy. Highly recommend a g25 if you feel like upgrading the wheel. My mk1 to set geometry. Never got around to mk2. Interests changed.

carbon likes this.
  18. carbon

carbon Member

Had a fanatec csr elite formula wheel and pedals, which was discontinued shortly after purchasing it but have had no issues with it. But thought it was time to upgrade now have a simucube with mige servo motor. Not plug and play but a different league

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
Advertisements