Quieter cooling fan

1. discomikey New Member

Hi all, I have a 2015 Oxford migmaker 330-1

It's a cracking machine, the only downside is the cooling fans are much noisier than most other machines I use. They've been like that from new and I don't think they are faulty.

Does anyone have any experience with swapping them out for a quieter brand of fans? Ideally same mounting hole centres etc. The current fans are in the photo attached. 20180630_222020.jpg

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

cheapest alternative computer fans then some have 3 speeds on them really shift air through a pc system

3. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

I have the same issue with my oxford I mig.
    It's like an air raid siren firing up when you switch it on. Certainly no leaving it on all day doing bits and pieces. Drives me mad.
    A little cheap PWM speed controller off ebay could be the answer (nudge, wink) . Turn the fans down when doing low duty welding. Running at. Low output, especially in a cold workshop doesn't require full fan speed. Just got to remember to up speed when giving it some beans. Obviously warranty issues apply.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i will get a video of my fans for you to show its noise levels

5. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, It's down the the fan blades. Straight blades shift more air but are noisier, curved blades are quieter but less efficient.

Colin

Richard. and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Or you could just turn it off when not in use:whistle:
    If i'm not welding i'm cutting grinding,if i'm not doing that i'm hammering,with the radio on in the background or i'm chatting a load of codswallop with someone,what fan noise?:laughing:

frank horton and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

9. johnser

johnser Member

If it's a DC fan (probably not though) you can get temperature controlled pwm widgets.

You'd need to sit the thermocouple sensibly but is a good way to throttle back cooling fans

10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Just be careful.
    They might be noisy but they are shifting a proportion air through that machine which has been calculated to ensure it meets the duty cycle figures it states.
    If you change that fan for a quieter one you are essentially changing it for one that shifts a lower volume of air and in turn if it’s not being cooled as efficiently then you potentially lower the duty cycle.
    Fans are essentially silent things it’s the blades movement through the air that makes a racket. Powerful fans make more noise. Lower the noise, lower power, lower cooling efficiency and potentially lower DC so be careful

Appyasme1, Hopefuldave and colnerov like this.
  11. chevy2

chevy2 Member

An option if you're prepared to do the work is convert it from constant running to thermostically controlled,
    A thermo switch from a fan-ondemand machine placed in the correct location will ensure that it cools correctly when you work the machine hard to ensure its protected,
    Had an r-tech several years ago and the fan on that was almost unbearable especially if i knew it wasn't really needed at low amps.

12. discomikey New Member

Thankyou for the concern.

Your point is definitely 100% valid but i have been checking out whats available online and cross referencing the current fan's details to match, especially flow in CFM. You can get quieter fans with the same flow capacity

Richard. likes this.
  13. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Grilles contribute a lot of noise, too. The perforated panel type is the worst, so best to cut that out entirely and replace it with a wire one.

Advertisements