Quick One (Chinning Bar)

1. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Just a nice wee little project I've been chipping away at this week amongst other things. Mainly in my lunch breaks.

There's some more details in the wanted section as I was looking to do this with stainless but ended up using obtainium.

Plans:
    [​IMG]

Tube is a section of heras fencing that was damaged. OD is 39mm and wall 2mm. A surprisingly heavy section so perfect for me. As the tube won't sit inside of the end caps snugly I'm bushing it with some 1½" solvent PVC pipe:
    WP_20170128_16_02_14_Pro.jpg

End caps cut and laid out. Plasma cut the discs from 5mm off an old stove, hence why they look as rough as ;) Tube is galvanized something or other. Wall is only 1.5mm so err, that'll be fun to join :D OD of thick stuff is around 4":
    WP_20170122_21_17_33_Pro.jpg

Welded up. Yes a rough job but I was in a hurry and I haven't done any welding for months. It's getting paint so meh, better to have the job done than perfect:
    WP_20170127_17_59_36_Pro.jpg

Lots of boring prep and paint later we have the finished article (mug for scale):
    WP_20170128_15_52_14_Pro.jpg

Close up of the end cap in situ. I was going to put a self-tapper through from the top to stop the tube spinning but friction is proving enough right now. Used angle grinder to put a 1mm deep slot in the PVC to line it all up with the seam on the outer tube:
    WP_20170128_15_56_04_Pro.jpg

Only a wee little project but nice to have something done and dusted rather than just an annoyance in my brain :D

Slàinte!

2. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No use, need to see it in use, video of 50 plus chinups would be good for starters :)

3. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

HAHAHAHA no chance! I can't even do one :D

I've done some damage to my back years ago and lots of muscle gone so this is (hopefully!) an attempt to rectify that over the coming months.

Welcome to come down and demonstrate the correct technique fella... :hug:

I will attempt to persuade the OH to do one for me. Fnarr fnarr.

Richard. and Parm like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Too much exercise and you'll wear yourself out.......:vsad:

5. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

No enough and I'll soon have my own geosynchronous satellites orbiting.

anjum and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Better beef up your welds then, also need 100 x 100 box uprights if it is to withstand me :D

eSCHEn likes this.
  7. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Lol, you do yourself a disservice! True about the welds though ;)

Actual max design load was 150Kg in my mind. I'm far far from that so it should hold.

8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Touch and go then for me :)

9. Richard.

Richard. Member

Great little job there D.
    Well done. Looks just the ticket.
    How did the new lenses in the new tech fair you.

eSCHEn likes this.
  10. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Superb mate. Optical quality compared to the old mask is so much better. And no flashing! :D

Richard. likes this.
  11. balmerchris

balmerchris barnacle picker

I was just thinking about making one of those. That looks good.
    I also injured my back and shoulder and have been doing push ups and sit ups to build the strength up. But pull ups are harder and I am a bit heavier than I should be.

12. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Chris the motivation to get this up quick is my back just feels like it need to hang you know? I've not got the trapezoidal strength to pull my weight but it'll come I'm sure :)

Was a nice wee project and it's good to get something finished for once.

Finish is plastikote easy spray. Used it before and it's a nice product and hard wearing.

balmerchris likes this.
  13. norlander

norlander Member

Try these or make a pair to start with https://www.perfectonline.com/category/core/ab-straps they are for hanging leg raises but with abit of thought can be used to ease into chinups.
    Used for leg raises to start with they will strengthen your core muscles, once you got the core sorted, it should support your back and the muscle groups involved in pull ups/chin ups.
    go underarm first and don't jerk.

14. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

I bought one of these for my son when he was about 14 year old , it went in the door frame to his bedroom and was set at about 5 foot 8 inches from the floor , I came out of my bedroom and into his and walked straight into the bar got me right between the eyes I fell to the floor seeing stars , it came down after the second time I walked into it !

15. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

The smack in the heed is why I didn't want one that went in the doorway :D

And @pdg - lol!

16. norlander

norlander Member

For all Gym bunnies out there

17. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

Depressingly close to reality!

18. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I've got one of them, you have to tighten it a lot to prevent rotating, it's pulled the top of the frame apart and now the door doesn't close properly and there's a crack above the corner of the frame in the wall:ashamed:.

19. Richard.

Richard. Member

I think the lesson speaks for itself.
    Man up and get a proper one made and bolted to the outside brickwork and do the pull ups in the cold and rain rocky balboa style :clapping:

20. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I stand on my welder and do pull ups on the rafters in the garage now:ashamed:.

Advertisements