Quality Spray Gun for small compressor?

1. Leo182 New Member

Hi all,

I've got a Aldi 25litre 9.3cfm compressor and a I am looking to sort a few issues out on my bumper like scratches etc plus spray some 16" alloy wheels so nothing major like full panels/paint a full car.

I was wanting to get the Devilbiss flg5 but the specs state 9.8cfm is needed so my question is would my compressor be OK to spray alloys??

If not can anyone recommend a decent gun please.

Many thanks.

2. bert Member

You will need a bigger compressor for spraying really. The Flg5 is a good gun. Make sure you get a genuine one and not the cheap Chinese copies off eBay.

Leo182 likes this.
  3. Leo182 New Member

Thanks Bert, feared that may be the case but still tempted with the current setup as I only want to spray small bits.

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

you could add another tank . it takes longer to initially fill but will give extended spraying time

fizzy and mtt.tr like this.
  5. Have a look at the LVLP guns like the Fast Mover range. Your compressor is still not good enough, but you might get by.

6. Leo182 New Member

Thanks for that, I did actually think about adding a extra tank to it but that doesn't improve the cfm or does it?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do.

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

it doesn't improve the cfm. that is the output from the pump .it gives a longer period of running time before the air reduces rather than stopping and starting every few minutes with the smaller tank

Morrisman and Leo182 like this.
  8. carbon

carbon Member

A devilbiss sri pro or sri pro lite use approx 4.8 cfm with the largest air cap fitted. The sri pro is now discontinued but parts are still available. They come with a 125ml pot but a pps adapter is available so larger panels can be painted not really suitable for primer as i think the largest nozzle is 1.4.

fizzy, Dcal and Leo182 like this.
  9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If you just want to do small repairs and some wheels get a hvlp touch up gun from ebay. They run on 30psi and you can just wait for the tank to refill but in a lot of cases the pump can keep up with the gun and refill the tank at the same time.

10. dan treg Member

what about a devilbiss startline slg610 . ive got one just looked on box says 4cfm so maybe ok for small panels or odd jobs

11. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

12. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

If you spray fairly slowly with an HVLP gun you can carry on for a surprisingly long time before your pressure drops too far. I have a gauge on the back end of my spray gun so I can see exactly what I get at the gun with the nozzle open. I think mine is set at 25 psi. And if you are only touching up bumpers/wheels etc, you will be fine.

I had a big extra tank linked to my system but only used it once, found it would spray okay with just the little compressor.

The 9.8 cfm rated gun will be for continual use, wide open spraying, for a guess.

And a 9.5cfm rated compressor will only give you about 7.5cfm at the most, due to the usual compressor inefficiency.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. NickMc Member

Sounds like you may be better with a touch up gun.

14. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Dcal likes this.
  15. carter13 New Member

Your compressor will be fine for alloys and the odd little repair using an flg5 or a similar spec gun.

16. jordan1 Member

Bear in mind your compressor capability if you ever need an air fed mask;).

Advertisements